what engine?

hi all, just joined, i just aquired my second k10 which i am going to strip out and use as a track car, can anyone tell me what kind of engine is best to go for which is relatively cheap and will hopefully fit in easily? and also everything i will need from the donor car? thanks

welcome :)
I don't know much about engine swops but i expect someone will be along shortly to give advice...what you're doing sounds like fun tho'! (Y)

What engine does it have already?

Speedle has a 1.0 MA10 engine in his on weber carbs which is pretty pokey, should be even better with a proper exhaust system. No faffing about with fuel systems either!

Well you only posted about 2 hours ago!! people are at work

The only direct conversion is a 1.2, assuming you've got a 1.0. Otherwise, your looking at alot of custom work, engine mounts, linkages, fuel system & driveshafts + more

Speedle has a 1.3 MA13 engine in his on bike carbs

There's no such engine as a MA13 :p, and he also has Twin weber carbs now :)

its a 1.0l, as its for the track im looking for atleast a 1.6, not bothered about how much work as i can do it all anyway, sorry btw, im just impatient, and im at work 2 haha.

Arnold how dare you misquote me! :wasntme:

Also, for a track car power isn't everything. RaceworX had a 1.3 that could stick to saxo VTS's in the twisties.

Remember: stripping out = free power!

If you are really after a 1.6 then the GA16DE from an Almera, Primera or Sunny should fit, or the earlier carb version (Thus no fuelling to worry about), I think the designation was GA16DS but I may be wrong. Still, it's underpowered IMO for what it is - 98bhp from a 1.6 DOHC 16v isn't mind-blowing, but I wouldnt call my SRi slow..

hi Jonny welcome aboard mate, the GA16 lump fits quite well into the k10 bay as does the SR20 and the Cherry Turbo 1.5 lump i forget its engine code.

the CG13 1.3 from the bubble Micra is also very tunable to about 120bhp with relatively minimum costs some peopl on here have even had more.

bobsp16 races k10's on grass track so knows alot about tuning the ma10/12 engines already in the car. he did fit the GA16 into the k10 but unfortunately never finished it, its all down to you really. most things will fit it depends how much work you wanna put in :)

Speedle has a 1.2 MA12 engine in his on weber carbs which is pretty pokey, should be even better with a proper exhaust system. No faffing about with fuel systems either!

think you got the wrong end of the stick there mate i had a sunny 1.3 carb on the car, then had bike carbs, and now have twin webers. the cars currently doing a spiffing 9.8 sec 0-60! :D

if i was going with the ga16 or sr20 how much of the donor would i need? it will be going against red top novas and the like at knockhill so it has to be pretty decent, will i have to cut and weld the drive shafts etc?

forgot to say the engine mounts on the cg13 all but 1 (drivers side) line up to the k10's mounting points so this would be the easiest to fit. and the k10 and k11 have alot in common up front suspension etc is very similar and interchangeable between the models

if i was going with the ga16 or sr20 how much of the donor would i need? it will be going against red top novas and the like at knockhill so it has to be pretty decent, will i have to cut and weld the drive shafts etc?

custom shafts are a must, as most sr20 are injection if not all of them youd prob need the complete loom, if you use a carb version of the GA16 your life would be alot easier. a ga16 on twin carbs or bike carbs should be pretty damn fast

Yes the driveshafts will need to be altered, as the track is wider. Or you could get custom ones made.

IIRC Dave Bull used cut down Almera driveshafts, but they snapped all the time!

do you know how easy it is to get a hold of the ga16, in good condition or would i be aswell trying to buy a full car which has been accident damaged?
is it expensive to get custom ones made?

Getting an accident damaged car is the best idea, that way you can get all wiring, mounts, piping for the engine.

do you know how easy it is to get a hold of the ga16, in good condition or would i be aswell trying to buy a full car which has been accident damaged?
is it expensive to get custom ones made?

wrecked cars best mate, as for custom shafts thats something ive never looked into im afraid

It depends on the power Re: driveshafts i'm sure. Little bandit was beyond insane so not surprising they snapped. I do recall him saying though that his never did? They were custom made however.

You might get away with welding, but if the job's done well enough and your not running silly power.

1.6 comes from a Primera

whats the deal with the gearbox? not getting the engine for a couple of months due to money, just at the planning stage at the moment, stripping it out on sat tho:love: the most fun part, besides when its finished

Maybe I'm wrong then :( Apologies! And I changed my first post so as not to mislead! :)

In any case, as stated before, Sunnys, Almeras and Primeras all came with GA14, GA16, SR20 engines in some form. Scout around for the right one.

He had an MA12 before, used to boast about them over the MA10 :p girl pants can't make his mind up what's best :p

haha next car show will have a divide between MA10's and MA12'!! giving each other death stares!!:glare: :glare: grr

i would like an MA12....what top end speed difference is there?

haha next car show will have a divide between MA10's and MA12'!! giving each other death stares!!:glare: :glare: grr

i would like an MA12....what top end speed difference is there?

the only difference is when your going up a hill the 12 keeps going, the 10 stops and rolls back lol

pfft! you k11 owners have no honor! and honor must be satisfied via the style of the samurai! or alternatively i could race you up hill in my k10 and wave to you out the back window? up to you :p

pfft! you k11 owners have no honor! and honor must be satisfied via the style of the samurai! or alternatively i could race you up hill in my k10 and wave to you out the back window? up to you :p

Maybe so 'cos my car is fully loaded and has more comfort than my living room, but I could still stop faster than you :p :p

Maybe so 'cos my car is fully loaded and has more comfort than my living room, but I could still stop faster than you :p :p

doubt it i have uprated the braking system as well thank you please ;)

anyway were veering well of topic it here, so let just say the k10 is the best and leave it at that ;) :D

speedle, just to jog your memory, it was an E15ET you were thinking of. I think Umar bought up and used the countries entire surplus of them though.

I'm still waiting for someone to shoehorn a subaru justy or bedford rascal rear axle into a K10 and put a semi decent engine in. :p

speedle, just to jog your memory, it was an E15ET you were thinking of. I think Umar bought up and used the countries entire surplus of them though.

I'm still waiting for someone to shoehorn a subaru justy or bedford rascal rear axle into a K10 and put a semi decent engine in. :p

ah cheers pete i knew there was an e in there somewhere lol, plent of other engines from the N13 sunny you could use, theres a 1.6 which im sure has some poke, probably a damn sight eaiser to fit than a GA16

Something I considered for my old K10 with a full power yamaha vmax engine (140bhp shaft drive) mid mounted.

4age it! :D them engines sound so sexy!!!!

You can get them out of mr2's and ae86's and keep it rwd or:

iirc ae92's use the same engie but are fwd.

You can ? I know where theres a very nice, almost new, TVR V8 450 bhp tuned engine for little money Think it's a 450 it could be more i know its not less..

Right now any engine which works would do me nicely

hissyfizzy

Back