Weird Speedometer Problem I Had Today

M

MichaelD

Hey all,

I had a wierd problem with my K11 today! Basically, it was sitting in the sun all morning and I got into it at lunchtime in order to drive to the shops. The sun had been peering down on the dash board and the inside of the car was very warm.

Anyway, as I started driving I noticed that the speedometer was getting stuck - it was moving up but not down. As I dropped below 30 it stayed at thirty. I tried tapping the glass infront of the speedometer panel and this made it gradually move down with every tap - however it didnt fix the problem.

I then went on to smack the top of the dash board, above the instrument panel a good few times, and after whacking it the speedometer dropped back down to zero and then worked fine there-after.

Anyone ever had this problem before? Any suggestions? At the moment its working fine - i just took it out for another spin and its all good again. Maybe it just got stuck? Maybe it was a fuse playing up? Maybe a dodgy wire (the smacking seemed to work!).

Thanks for the comments,

Michael

I have had that before, a few persuasive taps is the only way to fix it, or you can take the dash cluster off, but that is a heck of a lot more effort, nothing to worry about though :)

Hello all :)

My car has started doing this and I would like to fix it. Its a 96 1.0L. Whats the best way to fix this?

Thank you :)

060006.jpg

Carry one of these for when it gets stuck :)

Thanks for the replies :)

So, can't this be fixed properly? What about taking the speedometer out and putting a different one in or will the same problem happen?

Thanks rallybunny. This seems to be a problem on a lot of micra's.

I got it lubricated and the problem stopped and then it started up again shortly after.

I picked up another speedometer from a scrapyard but im not sure if its working ok and don't want the same thing to happen.

I find that mine has been ok since (it's only happened twice) if I park in the shade or use one of those godawful heat reflecting things for the windscreen.

I think it is quite a common problem but to be honest for how often it happens it isnt really worth worrying about. As has been said just a few taps on the dash and ya back down to 0 :D

Happen's to my K11 when its really hot, and only started happening once I got it lowered

Happened to me on several ocasions. Strangely solved it self when i fitted a uprated earth cable (nicked from a new shape transit) makes zero sense but works!

Back