Weight difference - R/Drum vs Disk

CMF_climberjoel

» CMF Member
sorry mycra - ive done the swap but forgot to weigh!

Disk axel should be lighter - just because drums are stupidly heavy - rest of teh axel is the same.

also I would say less inertia on a disk axel.

plus disk are awesome and drums are not - totally worth the swap

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
climberjoel WROTE:

"sorry mycra - ive done the swap but forgot to weigh!

Disk axel should be lighter - just because drums are stupidly heavy - rest of teh axel is the same.

also I would say less inertia on a disk axel.

plus disk are awesome and drums are not - totally worth the swap

Agreeing with this. Also, weight is also a pretty poor reason to choose drums over discs, if it were the lighter option. I've also done the swap before and the weight difference, if any, would be negligible.

If you're looking at reducing weight, you should be looking elsewhere.

---dens

CMF_mycra

» CMF Member
Thanks ppz although this my second one... Just wanted to be sure I'm not INCREASING considerable weight, as i remember when I did the av22vf, they weigh HEAPS. I have poor rear braking and even new drums, high fric and rivited lining etc aren't enough atm.

CMF_Tyrie

» CMF Member
mycra WROTE:

"Thanks ppz although this my second one... Just wanted to be sure I'm not INCREASING considerable weight, as i remember when I did the av22vf, they weigh HEAPS. I have poor rear braking and even new drums, high fric and rivited lining etc aren't enough atm.

aren't enough for what? rear brakes shouldn't do a whole lot of work at the best of times. If you just want them to lock fit an ebay hydraulic handbrake.

CMF_mycra

» CMF Member
Tyrie WROTE:

"mycra WROTE:

"Thanks ppz although this my second one... Just wanted to be sure I'm not INCREASING considerable weight, as i remember when I did the av22vf, they weigh HEAPS. I have poor rear braking and even new drums, high fric and rivited lining etc aren't enough atm."</div>

aren't enough for what? rear brakes shouldn't do a whole lot of work at the best of times. If you just want them to lock fit an ebay hydraulic handbrake.

arent't enough for braking....what did you think? even if they don't do jack all, drums need to be pulled off and shoes adjusted every often especially after track. not to mention prick of a job changing shoes. you should know you rolled yours
So what manufactures build rear disk for ****s and giggles hey.... not interested in povo suggestion on eBay spec either. Cheers

CMF_Tyrie

» CMF Member
Have you considered installing a separate master cylinder and balance bar so you can increase rear bias to get the rear braking you desire?

This is the setup I put in my datsun, you probably won't be interested because I got the perfectly good parts off ebay and that's obviously the povo way.

20101119_002.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l199/Tyrie_01/20101119_002.jpg

CMF_kovert.k11

» CMF Member
lmao@mycra... taking ur eBay hatin' to the extreme mate... even i buy bits for my ****boxes off eBay, and i've apparently got a money tree according to old mate Low... RDA, OMP and even Brembo make rear discs for the k11 (even though the Brembos aren't slotted!? - fux me y) - all available on eBay (from the UK).. u want lightweight - grab urself a nismo rear axle like the one i found for the slayer.. light as, 5-6cm wider than stock, and cambered - rear drums unfortunately, but that'll be resolved soon..

CMF_mycra

» CMF Member
i used adapter plates and bolted standard fronts to the rear last time. was heavier than drums and bought me a hydraulic handbrake locally, turned to ****...'oh sorry i didn't know bought it off ebay'. if you are running reputable brands fair enough, otherwise just me then.

twin masters and balance bar i agree, but on a k11 atm i wouldn't bother. even if going for it...but spending it on drums? lol just sick of ugly ****ty designed drums, thanks Tyrie. btw cant see your photo..

Back