warning bulb

hello can someone help me iam trying to get my petrol warning light to work i have removed the clock part from the dash and check the bulb wich seems to be fine i have even switched bulbs round and i still cant get to light up. should the bulb light up when i turn the ignition on ? i have checked evrything else and all seems fine it did work before then suddenly just stopped working

thank you for any help

Stick a jerry can in your car with some petrol in then drive it lower than empty. they vary a lot on when they come on. The tank capacity is 42 litres so if when you fill it up it is a lot less than that then you are not running it low enough for the light to come on.

Stick a jerry can in your car with some petrol in then drive it lower than empty. they vary a lot on when they come on. The tank capacity is 42 litres so if when you fill it up it is a lot less than that then you are not running it low enough for the light to come on.

it is about half way into the red mark

so doesnt it light up when i first turn the ignition on then go out when the engine starts like all the other dash lights like oil ect ect

so doesnt it light up when i first turn the ignition on then go out when the engine starts like all the other dash lights like oil ect ect
No it will only come on once it's low enough.

My old 1994 super s didn't have a fuel light. it had the symbol there and i put a bulb in but it never lit up.
my SR (1996) lights up just after it goes into the red. perhaps the sensor is knackered?

My old 1994 super s didn't have a fuel light. it had the symbol there and i put a bulb in but it never lit up.

A super s should have a fuel light, it was only the base base models that didn't have a fuel light.

And yer it won't come on at anytime but when you run low of fuel.

My 1994 Super S has a low fuel warning light, it seems to only come on once it's below the red on the fuel guage! They are adjustable with a lower or higher wattage bulb, just stick the lowest rated capless bulb you can find in there (they take the same size bulb as a front sidelight, in essence a '501' capless type bulb, but not exactly a '501' as that will be too high a wattage), 1.2w should light up earlier than the stock 3w bulb. You won't be able to LED convert these as the small amount of current that goes through will be enough to light the LED at all times! (made that mistake before!). The system works by decreasing resistance in the circuit as the tank runs dry, empty tank results in zero resistance and light on, hence when they come on, they light up gradually starting very dim and becoming brighter.

A super s should have a fuel light, it was only the base base models that didn't have a fuel light.

And yer it won't come on at anytime but when you run low of fuel.
as i said i had the section there and put several bulbs in and it never lit leading me to believe the circuit was busted. still once it hits red you may aswell fill up anyways.
you don't need a bulb to tell you that really lol

Back