Wanted - Speedometer drive

CMF_m-hayes

» CMF Member
Hi - I'm looking for a speedometer drive for a RS5F31V gearbox with Viscous LSD (cable or electronic).

The drive ring is offset when you look down the hole the drive fits into, so a standard one won't fit. I don't know if an auto one will do.

This gearbox option isn't common in the UK but more common elsewhere.

Regards

Mike Hayes

CMF_SSUK

» CMF Member
I remember you asking for one quite a while ago, these are not common to come across even in Japan, (though you may get lucky eventually). I have one but it's in my gearbox and thus not for sale.

I'd suggest converting to electronic speedo, you could use an ABS pickup and sensor or do what Matt Humphris does and run a sensor off one of the rear hubs using the stud heads as pickups, (it's coarse but works). It maybe an easier solution than trying to find a speedo drive specifically for the 31V....

CMF_SSUK

» CMF Member
I 'think' he has an SPA unit, (rev counter with digital speedo readout), but I am not 100% on that. They are normally setup using a once per rev input and a wheel circumference very similar to a bike speedo. I you have 4 per rev you can just divide it down, then it's set in the speedo through the menu system, (SPA have instructions on their site).

It's probably easier to give him a call, as he'll be able to confirm and maybe able to send some pics. At the very least it's good to know as a potential option.

If I see anything crop up speed drive wise, I'll drop you a link :)

Back