Wanted : Lowering Guide

Hi guys, ordered my 35mm lowering springs and although I have a vague idea how to do them, would much appretiate it if anyone knows of a guide, pref with pictures.

Thanks

Rears really easy once you get all the bolts undone as everything slides in. Fronts are much the same (prepare for a battle with the bolts) but you'll need spring compressors, take your time on the fronts as the springs / spring compressors can pop off and jam fingers, hit face...generally all bad things if you dont pay attention. (best to keep it on its side pointing away from you while you work) :)

Fitting the new springs are easier as they're shorter so need less compressing...

You'll get the idea once you've got the original shockers off the car. If you dont rush and keep an eye on everything you'll be fine.

instead of spring compressor once there off the car the springs are kinda loose if i remember rightly... but if i were to do it is to undo the top mount for them and undo them in the car so the pressure is still on the spring untill the weight is removed

instead of spring compressor once there off the car the springs are kinda loose if i remember rightly... but if i were to do it is to undo the top mount for them and undo them in the car so the pressure is still on the spring untill the weight is removed

Not the fronts, you WILL need compressors cause they have a hell of a lot of preload

If you need compressors you could either buy some for around £20 or borrow them from a close by member

For the fronts youll need compressors on removal and refitting of the spring. For the rears i use the pole from my trolley jack to prise the spring out and the new one in :)

For the rears i use the pole from my trolley jack to prise the spring out and the new one in :)

Or undo the panhard rod (not strictly needed -- but stops the axle shifting) and brake bias and jack the body to the brake line limit (before they get damaged :D) and they should be close to falling out.

Spring compressor seems like it makes the job alot easier.

Also about the panhard rod, heard you need to alter that when the cars lowered as the axel moves side to side? I know if this is done new brushes are needed.

where you live pal?

I'm about 5 minutes from Gatwick Airport mate.

Spring compressor seems like it makes the job alot easier.

Also about the panhard rod, heard you need to alter that when the cars lowered as the axel moves side to side? I know if this is done new brushes are needed.

I'm about 5 minutes from Gatwick Airport mate.

or an adjustable panhard rod.

if you were close mate you could of come round mine and i'd of helped you out. i got spring compressors.

Wasnt someone welding and selling adjustable panhard rods on here? I take it the one thats on there at the moment is totally removed and replaced with the adjustable one.

Cheers for the offer tat2_mike, if we were nearer would have been good.

So really I need an adjustable panhard rod, new brushes and a spring compressor.

Think I should be ok now (I hope) :laugh:

Wasnt someone welding and selling adjustable panhard rods on here? I take it the one thats on there at the moment is totally removed and replaced with the adjustable one.

Cheers for the offer tat2_mike, if we were nearer would have been good.

So really I need an adjustable panhard rod, new brushes and a spring compressor.

Think I should be ok now (I hope) :laugh:

you can replace the bushes in the rod with some frank specials although i think i had his last set.

you can also use ratchet straps instead of spring compressors mate.

A 35mm drop doesnt really shift the axle over that much...it'll still be off, just maybe not enough to cause issues. Fit the springs and if you decide it needs it, then see about getting the panhard sorted.

Ive seen and been in two micras lowered 35mm with and without the adjustable panhard fitted and it didnt seem to make much difference. Any lower and its another story. :)

(cant comment on how it'd look if you loaded up the boot or carried a load of passengers)

Back