Voltage

CMF_Vibe7777

» CMF Member
Hi Guys,

Can you please tell me what voltage you get on the battery on idle with headlamps and without headlamps also?

Rgds,

Vibe

CMF_GTRHOLIC

» CMF Member
sorry, i dont mean to hijack your thread, but now that you mention it, my headlights (high beam in particular) glow brighter when the throttle is applied and dims when you lift off the throttle. whats wrong?

CMF_Vibe7777

» CMF Member
Hi GTRHOLIC,

Thank you very much for the info.

AS for I quote "my headlights (high beam in particular) glow brighter when the throttle is applied and dims when you lift off the throttle"

I got the same problem few months ago, i've put a voltage regulator on the battery. Now it's ok. Try to find one and let me know about the results.

Regards,

Vibe

Attachments

• 19259.jpg
    19259.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 16

CMF_marchsrilanka

» CMF Member
Hi guys,

Recently my car was not starting in the morning, but was able to start once I run few trips for the day... and again not starting the next morning. So I took it to an electrician and when we checked the voltage, it was going upto 14.7V (when I rev the car). He advised me that the battery is overcharging and I need to go with a new battery. He even tried replacing the alternator and nothing wrong with the old one.

I decided to go with a new battery and took my car again to check the voltage level. But now the level shows 14.4 (when i rev). But still he says that the limit should not go beyond 14.2 and even the new battery is over charging.

Please advise me whether 14.4 is normal when I revup. Thanks in advance.

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
To be honest I wouldn't have thought that 200mV would make that much of a difference to anything in the car - most stuff connected to the car's electrical system I would imagine would have fairly broad tolerances and that such a small variation in voltage wouldn't matter. If it went to say 15 or 16v and above then yeah, I would get worried, but to be honest if everything's running ok then leave it as it is for now, do some research and come to a decision yourself as to what you want to do from here. It almost sounds as if your "mechanic" is taking you for a bit of a ride. Could also be potentially a slightly dodgy voltage reg in the alternator..

With this said, I take no responsibility for any electrical fires you may/may not end up having :p

---dens

CMF_33driver

» CMF Member
14.4 is perfectly normal, and even if it WAS overcharging, the first thing you check/changke is the regulator on the alternator, then swap out the alternator itself. Batteries don't overcharge by themselves

CMF_marchsrilanka

» CMF Member
Thanks guys.... I really appreciate your support. One other problem I recently noticed (don't know whether it is relevant for the same issue). Every morning the car starts perfectly... but however when I take it to a ride and after the engine gets bit warm, the car does not start from the first attempt.... I need to hold it for 5-6 seconds and then it starts. Could that be an issue with the fuel rail?

Back