Tyre choice for 16" wheels

CMF_littlebear

» CMF Member
Any recommendations for 205/40 R16 tyres? I am looking at Nexen—$130 inc F&B or Khumo at $189.

Are you happy with your Nexens on your blue SLX Turbo? I put them on my red Supers S but with stock size and handling it was hard to tell.

As these are going on White Knight they need to pretty good performers as the car will not be a daily driver more like a weekend fun car.

smidge

» CMF Member
my nexens were okay on dry but a little sketchy in the wet and useless on gravel :D

for the money they are pretty decent, wouldn't call them a performance tire

the yoko a539's i've got now are worlds apart, grip grip grip and more grip

smidge WROTE:

"my nexens were okay on dry but a little sketchy in the wet and useless on gravel :D<BR><BR>for the money they are pretty decent, wouldn't call them a performance tire<BR><BR>the yoko a539's i've got now are worlds apart, grip grip grip and more grip

everything mentioned are **** tyres. maybe ok for grandma to go to the shops on... if its a weekend car, i'd get semi's for sure. nexen's are totally and utterly useless.. i get wheelspin of the line in the blue car with 16's with the nexens.. its not as if it makes massive power so i put it down to **** tyres... cornering.. well.. they're ok if your into drifting.. slippery as a mofo. yoko a539's are a family commodore type tyre.. go semi's!!. oh and for a 7'' wide rim i'd be going a 205/40/16 as well. semi slick tyre choice is limited in this size thou. i think you can get A048's thou..

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
turbo march-rolling shell WROTE:

"smidge WROTE:

"my nexens were okay on dry but a little sketchy in the wet and useless on gravel :D

for the money they are pretty decent, wouldn't call them a performance tire

the yoko a539's i've got now are worlds apart, grip grip grip and more grip"</div>

everything mentioned are **** tyres. maybe ok for grandma to go to the shops on... if its a weekend car, i'd get semi's for sure. nexen's are totally and utterly useless.. i get wheelspin of the line in the blue car with 16's with the nexens.. its not as if it makes massive power so i put it down to **** tyres... cornering.. well.. they're ok if your into drifting.. slippery as a mofo. yoko a539's are a family commodore type tyre.. go semi's!!. oh and for a 7'' wide rim i'd be going a 205/40/16 as well. semi slick tyre choice is limited in this size thou. i think you can get A048's thou..

Dude, you need to learn this - not everyone is made of money like yourself :p That said, not everyone should be on semi's for road tyres. For the track, sure. Just make sure they're warmed up first!

I'll be getting RE001 adrenalin's to put on my 14's now that Bridgestone have finally started making them :p Tyres are a major contributor in keeping yourself and your car on the road - it's never a good idea to skimp.

---dens

deNs WROTE:

"turbo march-rolling shell WROTE:<BR><BR>"
smidge WROTE:<BR><BR><BR><BR>"my nexens were okay on dry but a little sketchy in the wet and useless on gravel :D<BR><BR>for the money they are pretty decent, wouldn't call them a performance tire<BR><BR>the yoko a539's i've got now are worlds apart, grip grip grip and more grip"</DIV><BR><BR><BR><BR>everything mentioned are **** tyres. maybe ok for grandma to go to the shops on... if its a weekend car, i'd get semi's for sure. nexen's are totally and utterly useless.. i get wheelspin of the line in the blue car with 16's with the nexens.. its not as if it makes massive power so i put it down to **** tyres... cornering.. well.. they're ok if your into drifting.. slippery as a mofo. yoko a539's are a family commodore type tyre.. go semi's!!. oh and for a 7'' wide rim i'd be going a 205/40/16 as well. semi slick tyre choice is limited in this size thou. i think you can get A048's thou.."</DIV><BR><BR>Dude, you need to learn this - not everyone is made of money like yourself :p That said, not everyone should be on semi's for road tyres. For the track, sure. Just make sure they're warmed up first! <BR><BR>I'll be getting RE001 adrenalin's to put on my 14's now that Bridgestone have finally started making them :p Tyres are a major contributor in keeping yourself and your car on the road - it's never a good idea to skimp.<BR><BR>---dens

hey dude.. you need to learn where to buy **** if you think you need money for semi's.. at around $220, the extra $30 per tyre isn't exactly a life long investment. (this was the last time i checked thou, i doubt there much more now).. oh and he said its his weekend car...so errr.. i assume he wants it for fun/track. hence the semi slick reccomendation. i've got the nexen's on my 16's because they we're cheap and bought them when i thought the micra's were just a little pos so didn't bother with good tyres... i've had em for 2 years prob 30+k's and still got atleast 70% on the back and 40% front.. they wear very well.. i'll give em that.

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Well... well... shut up :p I was so keen on proving you wrong that I missed what he said about it being for a weekend car..! haha..

Toyo R888's are still around $220 or thereabouts just for 14's, but again, not everyone has access to the kinds of connections that you do ;) 16's are bound to be a fair bit more for semis but it's good to shop around and get an idea for the kind of money you'd be looking at. It really depends where your budget is, too. Anyhow, I'm not an expert when it comes to tyres and compounds for semi's and whatnot, so i'll leave it for now.

---dens

CMF_littlebear

» CMF Member
Thanks guys—this is the feed back I am after. Yep this is going to be a fair weather, weekend ride for when the missus and kids let me out! So I won't be racking up 20,000k's a year!

Turbo—don't you go changin' :)

littlebear WROTE:

"Nice tyre but not available in 205/45/16 and probably a bit rich for me. Low $200's per corner is about all I'll go to.

i'll sus out how much the a048's are next time i'm around at my tyre bloke. i 100% know there available in the size you want. yokohama also have the new AD07 which is suppose to be good street/track tyre.. and apparently falken are on the verge/already have released there new track tyre and are doing really good deals on em to get em out in the scene.. might be somthing to ask for/think about. if none of that still doesn't turn you on, go for the best performance street tyre that they make..

Back