Two Exhaust/o2 Questions...

rlees85

Ex. Club Member
Does anybody know if:

I gut out my first cat (my car does not have a 2nd cat) will my car go much faster?..... until i can get my hands on a janspeed at least.

and the other thing, when i unplug my o2 sensor my car goes off like a rocket, is this becuase my o2 sensor is fubard and is slowing it down normally? also i know this puts the ECU into closed-loop thingie, is this bad for the running of the car? becuase it feels so much nicer to drive i just leave it unplugged......

thanks!!!! :)

I think you should wait until you get the janspeed, because the MOT will fail with both cats removed, and you wouldn't have a standard one to revert back to if you've hacked it up.

Don't know about the second point.

Does anybody know if:

I gut out my first cat (my car does not have a 2nd cat) will my car go much faster?..... until i can get my hands on a janspeed at least.

and the other thing, when i unplug my o2 sensor my car goes off like a rocket, is this becuase my o2 sensor is fubard and is slowing it down normally? also i know this puts the ECU into closed-loop thingie, is this bad for the running of the car? becuase it feels so much nicer to drive i just leave it unplugged......

thanks!!!! :)

Your car will go a bit faster, but don't expect a lot - I remember beachboy talking about how he did this.
Without seeing the map (hint Ed...Pete) it's hard to tell, the map will be safe for a bone stock car (I would assume as this is how it would drive if the lambda broke) but once you have started playing with things then it's anyone's guess, I don't want to say you will be fine and then your car blows up, but if it runs then it sounds promising - can you do a full-throttle check ofthe spark plugs?
^ ^ this may alll be total tripe tho.
Craig

from memory and probably read from the haynes, if one of the signals becomes abnormal then the ecu reverts to its default safe settings...id assume it would include the lambda, in that setting its supposed to run at reduced efficiency in a engine safe / get home mode.

That said i wonder how effective it would be to force it into safe mode (so it shouldnt be adjusting anything while driving) and then use something like the emanage to make up the difference...

ok.. thanks for the replies :) i get a better idea now. i plugged the o2 back in anyway becuase it was using too much fuel lol i do need to get another o2 when i can though i think

Back