Turbo Conversion

Alienfish360

Awesome Dawson
Ok, finally going to do the turbo conversion. But just need some advice on the ECU

will the Apexi SAFC II do Or will I need something like the G-Reddy e-manage?
Can these be used with NATS?

Would it be possible to programme these myself or am I best having a tuning garage do it?

Will the standard injectors run fine or will I need to change to 1600cc or 5th injector?

Thanks for any answers

if ni were you dude id get an e-manage ultimate and harness it carnt hurt to pput the 1.6 injectors in there get and FSE fuel regulator aswell :) all piggy backs will work with nats..

i mite add i believe he is doin this to a 1 litre, correct me if im wrong phil, good luck with will b good to see :D

Mmmm! Turbo's are fun. I've got a Lotus with a turbo and it's lovely! I'd love to hear how you get on with this - it's a great idea! However, Dot (my Micra) has got a CVT gearbox, so it would melt if I put more than 3 horsepower through it (or whatever the engine normally gives - I love her really!).

What size engine are you starting with? Have you got any other conversion on it? I find the handling poor on my normal 1.3l car - have you modified this cause the non-linear power delivery of the turbo is gonna get you on roundabouts!

just on springs but they don't really count, so nope not yet. All in good time. It's being done to a 1 litre as it's coming close to 100k now and need a reason to put 1.3 in, so if it goes badly wrong, I've learnt not what to do then put the 1.3 in :-D

Hoping to start at a small boost, around 5 or 6 psi? Then slowly try to increase it up, after getting it running right on low boost.

the 1.3 will run fine on 6psi boost, after that it may go bang with out uprates internals. dunno about the 1.0 ltr.

you could run a non intercooled set up with 5-6 psi boost but personally i'd use one. ecu e manage would be a good choice and get someone to set it up for fueling if you dunno what your doing or start learning :)

use the ga16 injectors and consider a better fuel pump. it may not be needed for low boost but you'll need it later on if you want more power.

something like a T2 or T25 would prob be best for low boost. try get a hold of the HKS manifold aswell or mod the standard one, or its a custom job.

then plumb it all together :) sounds so easy on paper tho. make sure you have spare cash tho as unexpected costs might come along :(

theres a few other people who know a lot on this so they'll prob be able to help you out in more detail.

:)

1.3 internals are okay for 200BHP with a head gasget ask jo and jon.. its all in the mapping.

the micra fuel pump is the same as the almera GTI so itl easy support enough fuel for a mild boost project..

you ned an e-manage with a profec B boost controller the standard e-manage carnt controll boost levels on its own.. or another kind of boost controler.. you could even use a bleed valve if your boost guage is accurate enough.

Raceworx said:
1.3 internals are okay for 200BHP with a head gasget ask jo and jon.. its all in the mapping.

the micra fuel pump is the same as the almera GTI so itl easy support enough fuel for a mild boost project..

didn't know that. its the head gasket that goes bang then, so i'm guessing uprating the internals just makes it work that better? (not an expert on turbo, only looked at it while back lol)

again didn't know the almera was the same pump, hmm learn something new everyday i guess :)

Alienfish360 said:
well by the end of it, with turbo and exhaust system, I'm hoping to push around 120bhp

thats easily done, probably on a standard head gasket, but worth getting a thicker one and running it at around 7psi.

Anybody have ideas what problems I can expect to face? As it seems fairly easy to me, with the difficult parts being the mounting of the turbo. Seems like it's just plumbing it in?

I expect to have some kind of difficulties somewhere, anybody able to shine some light on what to expect to see?

1. fabricating a turbo manifold will not be very easy first of all, unless you have an industrial workshop at hand. To do it properly you will need the right exhaust pipes and a mandrel pipe bender, a metal flange of the manifold gasket.

2. once you have made a turbo manifold, you have to mount an intercooler and connect turbo to it, and then connect that to the throttle body. sounds easy but its not! will need samco bends n reducers to connect metal pipes to each other.

3. oil feed pipe for the turbo, can be tricky.

4. if you get the above done correctly, then you need to adjust timing, adjust feuling, and remap the ECU as said above with a piggyback ECU.

I'm going to an exhaust company for my manifold to be made, or failing that I've seen the LOG type. And also have a fabrication and welding place at hand fairly cheap.

The difficulties I expect is the electronic stuff and the oil feed.

Expecting some reliability issues early on. But should be an interesting project nonetheless

An Adjustable feul regulator should solve temporary feuling with the help of bigger injectors. After a remap the car should be perfectly fine.

Remapping the ECU can cost between £350 to £1500 depends on what you get.

There is a guy on eBay! who sells them cheaper based in scotland but he is a C£$T DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH HIM... posted someone emanage and did not insure it, when it arrived non-working did not compensate or contact member at all!!!

There is a guy from singapore who occasionally sells Emanage on eBay! for around £250 he is very good. Also there are supply fit and tune places in Uk that do the emanage.

E-manage ultimage is OVERKILL for you. Blue is fine. As you know I can supply fit and install them. I would highly recommend you get somone to do this. As paying to have it done properly may save you an expensive mistake, dont expect to just jump in and go. youll need things like precision wideband equipment which will bump up your cost even more.

Ed

Back