Toyota Yaris / Vitz / Echo

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
When my 2dr K11 dies I was thinking of just getting another one, they were sold in Japan until February 2002.

However, in recent days I've been looking at the 2dr Toyota Yaris / Vitz / Echo.
These were available from January 1999 with the 997cc 1Z-SE motor sourced from Daihatsu, October 1999 with the 1298cc 2NZ-FE toyota motor and October 2000 with the 1496cc 1NZ-FE.
Weights are 810kg, 890kg, 940kg respectively.
All these motors have infinitely varible inlet cam timing, single chain driven DOHC, distributorless ignition, all alloy construction. The NZ motors have the inlet at the front & exhaust against the firewall.

Any thoughts as to what these cars are like to live with? Long term reliability of the various engines, fuel consumption?

If the Aygo was sold in volume in Japan (there are limited private? imports), I'd probably buy one. Can't imagine Toyota NZ would ever sell them & I think importing from Britian would be too costly. I'd worry about rust from salt on the roads too.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Fuel consumption is OK, our 1.3 is around 8L/100km with women drivers. Goes OK but my micra is noticeably quicker throughout the rev and speed range.

I hate the car to be honest. Interior sucks. Plastics are cheap and nasty. Unacceptable amount of rattles and squeaks for a 2004 model with only 85,000km. Ergonomics are all wrong for my body. Steering is light and direct but completely devoid of any feel (worse than the micra's power steer). Suspension is boaty and not my cup of tea but it handles most roads quite well. Gearbox is terrible to use IMO but the women seem to like it. The brakes are champion though. Haven't stressed them but they feel better in general road duty than my micra's (rear disc and n15 1.6 front calipers and rotors). Vision out the front, sides and rear is HOPELESS. Can't see squat out the rear and parking is a bitch because you can't see the bonnet or rear of the car at all.

The current model Yaris isn't any better.

The fit/Jazz has the same woeful vision arrangements but IMO they're a far superior car to drive. Interior is plasticy and cheap but still superior to the 'Yota.

The Jazz might have SOHC motors but as has been proven, this doesn't stop them from going like absolute stink.

Back