Toyo Proxes T1-R tyre review

Guy

Has gone over to the oily side...
Club Member
Just a quicky review :). After admiring the tyres on Harlen's car at Santa Pod the other day, I looked into the T1-R Proxes tyres from Toyo as mine were getting pretty low. The reviews were pretty good and they were only a tenner more than the cheapy Kuhmos so I had my bald rear tyres replaced at Event tyres. Driving home I noticed this sort of cavernous silence behind me - hmmm...

The fronts were down to 2mm and winters coming so I booked it in for the fronts to be done. I had the 170 mile each way trip to Santa pod to test them out and what a revelation :grinning:. It was like driving a cadillac and the whole days driving was waaay less tiriIng than before. The total lack of the steering wheel buzzz you got with the Kuhmos was awesome. It must be the V tread pattern as opposed to the normal block pattern of the Kuhmos - so much more relaxing to drive.

Driving back through pouring rain up the motorway at slightly less than economical speeds :)wasntme:) felt very reassuring as well, the T1-R are a sport/rain tyre after all.

Only down side is my car was consistently 0.4 seconds slower over the quarter mile which I can only attribute to the stickier sport compound of the Toyos :doh:.

Overall? WELL WORTH IT!

I have Toyo T-1r's on my Jordan at the moment and think they are an awesome tyre. But i also have the R-1r's for summer next year (Y)

I've used Toyo T1-R's on a few cars now, mainly on 16" rims. I really like them, but they wear very quickly due to their softer compound. I've been using Falken FK452's on 17" rims recently and i really like them too, designed in Germany, made in Japan ... what more can you ask for!? haha! With 2wd cars, tyre choice is important, so its worth paying a bit more than the cheaper brands.

My friend uses these tyres in the Toyota sprint series and they handle great. I'll probably for a set instead of the Goodyear Eagles that i've got at the minute. Toyos on my Micra were fantastic

Back