Tightening the exhaust manifold?

Micra Jim

Ex. Club Member
Hey guys,

Just looking around my engine (for problems relating to this http://www.micra.org.uk/showthread.php?t=3906 thread) to then put my hand around the exhaust manifold, to find that there is air blowing out from it. Im guessing this is were the rattling/idle speed problems/blowing noise problems are all coming from!

So i guess it needs tightening? Or does it need to be replaced?

Ive been told to take it off (?!?) and get a iron brush around it, then get some exhaust paste on it and seal it back up again.

How would i go about doing this?

Could a novice, like me :), pull this off?

Cheers for any help.

air blowing...!!! wow. Where exactly is the exhaust blowing from? there is a connection that leads to the intake pan that when dissconected sounds horible. Could it just be this, maybe loose or something? But if it really is an exhaust leak coming from the surface where the manifold meets the head, then what i would do is remove the exhaust manifold, get a new gasket, scrape both surfaces (a wide exacto blade or putty knife would do) and maybe even take a sanding block to the surface of the manifold. Just what ever you do make sure the surfaces on both the head and the manifold are true (like flat). Then put in your new gasket and voila!

If it is a leak like this then there is usually black, sooty exhaust that is blown against the block or head and should be pretty obvious, but maybe not depending on where the manifold is leaking. Also just a thought, if it isn't leaking at a surface, or the connection to the intake pan, then it might be craked.

my .02
Trevor

Back