Ticking sound on idle

CMF_rlees85

» CMF Member
When the car is idling there seems to be a continuos ticking sound coming from the engine, is this normal? Also occasionally it has trouble starting.

The idle rev seems perfectly normal, and i dont think performance has been impaired.

Thanks v. much :)

p.s. i read this is some of the symptoms of the timing chain playing up, seriously hope it isnt that! The cars done ~40,000 MILES (which is about 65,000 Kilometers i think!)

CMF_turbo1.3

» CMF Member
its not a timing chain type noise.. its like a tapping one..

i have it but its only noticeable when idling, when i rev it slightly it vanishes... been doing it for ages and my old micra did it too before i sold it *shrugs*

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
That is strange. I sometimes hear the same noise in Family Hack when at idle. More like someone softly tapping on metal.Its very faint.
Maybe all Micras have a little person running around in them.
Were they built in Ireland ???

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
Well, they ARE nissans and therefore they DO have personalities.

(Give me a nissan/datsun motor which doesnt have a personality/mind of its own - seriously)

You think you guys have it hard with AFM/TB's which die - spare a thought for the SR20 guys! haha bloody mongrel things...

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Yes definately check you are using the right oil... could be your pump hitting metal to metal!! Which I found out once driving a very unfortunate Valiant... Bhahah what a classy car that was

Seano

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
MY SR20 has that problem seano - there is something wrong with the oil pump (i think anyway), it sounds like it is tapping on the crank shaft after my little accident!!

Well, its either that or one of my bottom end bearings is ****ed! (SR20's have exceptionally soft bearings, so i wouldnt be suprised if it is - especially with 160,000km on the clock and the way i drive it!!)

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
Well, not the oil pump tapping but the pick up in the sump for the oil pump.

i come to that conclusion because i know my sump has been off before and someone has replaced the oil pump before - they may not have put the pick up on properly again.

CMF_micragirl

» CMF Member
After the car being serviced last week, I now have a "chirping" sound under the bonnet when the car is idling, which disappears once foot goes on the clutch...my speedo reading? 119974klms...could this be the dreaded clutch cable on its way out??? I guess after 10 years of TOTALLY TROUBLE FREE MOTORING, I should expect to have to start spending a bit on repairs...I don't mind a bit :*)
ps...before all you smarty pants out there dare to respond, yed I've checked and I don't have a bird under the bonnet LOL

CMF_danarthurton

» CMF Member
i have the same problem and im pretty sure its something in the clutch like the release bearing. beacuse when you either rev the engine or you dip the clutch it goes away. pretty sure its this!!

Back