throttle body icing ?

CMF_Mike R

» CMF Member
Any think the throttle body on a micra can suffer from icing ?, my 1 liter is a bit awkward to warm up in our British climate at the moment with its damp cold air , wont pull till its warmed up for about half a mile then its suddenly ok . Noticed today that the TB is heated and the heat only gets to it after about 1/4 a mile . The engine temp sensor for the ecu checks out .
For the moment I have disconnected the feed to the filter box so warm air is sucked from around the engine .... sounds nice !! .

I have a 2000 facelift with the Bosch TB .. the other older cars are fine and pull like a horse from cold .

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
I only ever had one car that (pre fuel injection) got carby ice. Generally speaking once ice begins to form it accelerates quickly in it's buildup and you loose all power.
Also it's a combination of the drop in air temp caused by the vapourising fuel which you wont have as it's fuel injected and the dewpoint of the mositure in the air and the saturations of moisture in the air. A lot of exact conditions need to exist to get iceing and fuel injected engines are not commonly affected by it. You can get inpact iceing but you'd need your air intake to be directly in the airflow as they are with aircraft.

More likely one of the airflow sensors in the TB or some other type of temp sensor is not working optimally. Have you checked basic things like good plugs and clean airfilter.

CMF_Mike R

» CMF Member
those pipes that feed the air box are restrictive !!!!
the car must be about 5mph faster with it disconnected ..

coming to the conclusion the o2 sensor may be fubare'd , the car hesitates at speed when your foot is lifted and wont pick up when you put on the gas .

can I run the car with the o2 sensor disconnected and let it go into open loop mode ?

Back