this would be scary :D

They can fly with one engine pretty comfortably. Even if both engines failed, he'd still be able to glide a fair distance, back to the airfield.

Yeah, planes are designed to fly even with an engine out. Am sure a 747 can fly on just one engine aswell.

Like said aswell, it would be able to glide for a good while until there was a suitable place to land. There was a film that was based on a true story and the plane landed where there was a car meet.

Now something scray in a plane is when you hit clear air turbulence

there was a nother video on youtube with a guy landing his plane with no engines... not that easy but do able....

just how scary would it be to look out the window of your plane and see the engine stop turning lol...

fighter jets can't fly if the on board computer crashes, they are built with wings that are too small to keep it in the air and the computer is the only thing powerful enough to compensate by adjusting things really quickly... they shorten the wings to make them more manouverable *spell

Any plane can fly on one engine. If u ask me that was put on, both props are controlled individually anyway.

Any plane can glide without an engine for a certain amount of time, but the heavier, the shorter amount of time, and the steeper they fall at. If a Jumbo lost it's power, it wouldn't b in the air long. Flying into the wind helps if your 'dead stick'!!!!

just how scary would it be to look out the window of your plane and see the engine stop turning lol...

I'd probably crap myself. Im not the best of fliers as it is and i'd hate to experience that first hand.

I think the comment above was aimed at the eurofighter which has such bad aerodynamics that it would just start to tumble without it's onboard computer. Most of the rest of them would be managable, and in anycase fighterbombers tend to have ejecter seats.

I'm looking forward to landing a helicopter with the engine off, now that'll be an adreniline rush. For all those people thinking it'll just fall out of the sky, your wrong, they fly quite well with no propulsion, if the gearbox was to cease however, it would drop from the sky like a fat kid from the top of a tree.

looks scarier but at least they're on the ground :)

I think the comment above was aimed at the eurofighter which has such bad aerodynamics that it would just start to tumble without it's onboard computer. Most of the rest of them would be managable, and in anycase fighterbombers tend to have ejecter seats.

I'm looking forward to landing a helicopter with the engine off, now that'll be an adreniline rush. For all those people thinking it'll just fall out of the sky, your wrong, they fly quite well with no propulsion, if the gearbox was to cease however, it would drop from the sky like a fat kid from the top of a tree.

thats it, the eurofighter :)

helecopters work like a gyrocopter when the engine cuts, the blades act like a parachute, disrupting the air flow and its passes through the blades... but yes it only works if they are turning lol :)

Yep, dip the collective until you can feel the roters bite the air and then slowly bring it up, all the while using the cyclic to fly the ###### like a glider.

Don't forget the space shuttle flys without anything but it's weight as propulsion. "It flies, it flies like a brick, but it does fly"

Pilots are trained to deal with engine failures. I did a 12hr gliding scholarship - (flying a motor glider), and practice for engine failures was on every flight. You have plenty of time, even if you've only just taken off. Landing is and aways will be the hardest part of flying. Found it very difficult - especially with a heavy crosswind.

I will never get used to motorised gliders!!! watching them take off is obscure.

And I'm not surprised crosswinds make it tricky in a glider, you'll never get me in one.

Pete

Back