thirsty after service

Hi all and welcome to my first post. Not too exciting I'm afraid but we've all got to start somewhere.
I did a basic service on my 2001 1.0 recently and since then it's been really drinking petrol and also not running as smoothly as normal (intermittent poor acceleration, generally sluggish response). It's done 81k so is not in the first flush of youth but has always been okay up to now.
Any ideas anyone?
Possible clue? There was until recently a small metal heat shield type thing at the front of the engine, which has now rusted off. Could this be a factor?
Also, front near side brake is binding (need to work on caliper I think). Could this be having such an effect?
All suggestions gratefully received. Cheers folks! :):k11green:

if there is a brake binding on then fuel consumption will be higher than normal. cant say heat shield would increase the fuel consumption as its just that a shield. make sure by looking under car that there is no leaks and use your nose for the smell of petrol check fuel filter/s are ok. but first of all repair the binding brake ..............If you changed plugs make sure leads are in 100% condition if you didnt change them then do so.........also did you change air filter or at least blow it out with compressor.........check under bonnet for any tracking from plug leads (sparks jumping) this wil cause intermitint fault also check your dizzy cap aint cracked or broken...........

Did you replace the air filter? If so did you knock a vacuum hose off, the heat shield doesn't matter in summer. The brake will make it thirsty. A sensor might have broken at the same time you did the service, so the service might not be responsible.
If all else fails hit it with a hammer. (I accept no responsibility for your car getting damaged, lol)

Heat sheild wont affect it or the brakes when its idling, check the air filters in correct, didnt over tighten and belts, spark plugs are "correct" with correct gaps and are tight enough, fuel filters correct way round (although it sometimes just wont start) and the air filter and air box are secure.

use your nose for the smell of petrol check fuel filter/s are ok. but first of all repair the binding brake ..............also did you change air filter.....

No smell of petrol but I didn't change the fuel filter anyway. How essential is it to do it? Did change air filter and did check it was right way round. Thanks for your reply :)

did you knock a vacuum hose off

Cheers Olly, don't think I knocked anything off (story of my life ....) but will check :)

check spark plugs are "correct" with correct gaps and are tight enough

You might have something there Wrenchable. Spark plugs were tricky down those long tubes. Think I'll have to get them out to check and refit. Will let you all know how I get on. In the meantime, got to trade in wife's Focus for a CR-V ..... but that's another story ;-)))

You might have something there Wrenchable. Spark plugs were tricky down those long tubes. Think I'll have to get them out to check and refit. Will let you all know how I get on. In the meantime, got to trade in wife's Focus for a CR-V ..... but that's another story ;-)))

you got a post 2000 k11? did you fit ngk spark plug plugs?

Yep, 2001 1.0litre, and nope, fitted the cheapest plugs I could find as part of a servicing package on ebay. Why? Should I have stuck with NGK?

Back