The (not so!!)Intelligent Key System

Could any one help in either explaining or pointing me to a past thread which explains ( in noobie terms) how this is supposed to work ? Just bought the car but no handbook (that would be great too :) ). The car is suffering with the "Shall I let the key turn in the lock, or not" syndrome, which is annoying to say the least. So far I've managed to start the car (after about ten minutes of key jiggling) and then managed to take the key out but leaving the key barrel in the ACC position which means I can start the car while the key is in mi pocket. But can't lock the doors. Daren't turn the barrel to LOCK in case I can't get it to start position again with the key.

Think I'm on a steep learning curve here !

BTW its a 1600 C + C on a 06 plate

Odd that normally if steering locks are youd rock the wheel side side then centralise it to allow the key to turn, but yours sounds like a wacky lock

Try see if anyone in the clio forums had this issue?

Could any one help in either explaining or pointing me to a past thread which explains ( in noobie terms) how this is supposed to work ? Just bought the car but no handbook (that would be great too :) ). The car is suffering with the "Shall I let the key turn in the lock, or not" syndrome, which is annoying to say the least. So far I've managed to start the car (after about ten minutes of key jiggling) and then managed to take the key out but leaving the key barrel in the ACC position which means I can start the car while the key is in mi pocket. But can't lock the doors. Daren't turn the barrel to LOCK in case I can't get it to start position again with the key.

Think I'm on a steep learning curve here !

BTW its a 1600 C + C on a 06 plate

The inteligent key system means you don't have to put the key in the ignition at all to start the car or unlock the doors (leave it in your pocket or whatever)
my mums has this system on her 1.4 SVE.

open the car...walk upto the car...press the little black button on the door handle...not the key...it will unlock, just that door...if you're having problems locking and unlocking with the fob change the battery...we've changed my mums fob battery about 4 times in 3 years <_< ...mine (ordinary) just once ^_^

start the car .....you need to depress the brake pedal...while you turn the kn0b thing to the on, then start positions....

I have noticed that if you put the actual key in the ignition you don't always need to press down on the brake, but that kinda defeats the object right? LOL

a lot of cars with this systems seem to have issues with the steering lock not wanting to undo and the kn0b thing not wanting to turn...even when pressing the brake pedal as you should
thus leading to many minutes of Kn0b jiggling

...this is sounding ruder by the second :p

...it may need some kind of lubrication for the worn lock (I used Graphite powder on my mums.... or possibly a locksmiths dry lubrication spray...stuff :p)

Hope that helps...

You may be able to pick up a Nissan Owners manual from ebay or a scrap yard...an ordinary one should cover everything you need except of course for the roof ;)

The inteligent key system means you don't have to put the key in the ignition at all to start the car or unlock the doors (leave it in your pocket or whatever)
my mums has this system on her 1.4 SVE.

open the car...walk upto the car...press the little black button on the door handle...not the key...it will unlock, just that door...if you're having problems locking and unlocking with the fob change the battery...we've changed my mums fob battery about 4 times in 3 years <_< ...mine (ordinary) just once ^_^

start the car .....you need to depress the brake pedal...while you turn the kn0b thing to the on, then start positions....

I have noticed that if you put the actual key in the ignition you don't always need to press down on the brake, but that kinda defeats the object right? LOL

a lot of cars with this systems seem to have issues with the steering lock not wanting to undo and the kn0b thing not wanting to turn...even when pressing the brake pedal as you should
thus leading to many minutes of Kn0b jiggling

...this is sounding ruder by the second :p

...it may need some kind of lubrication for the worn lock (I used Graphite powder on my mums.... or possibly a locksmiths dry lubrication spray...stuff :p)

Hope that helps...

You may be able to pick up a Nissan Owners manual from ebay or a scrap yard...an ordinary one should cover everything you need except of course for the roof ;)
Brilliant, thanks for that. The guy I bought the car off didn't have a clue, and passed all his knowledge on to me :rolleyes: He did say that you should start the car first with the key and then there was a way of getting the key out with the engine running. After that he said you could then open lock and start the car without the key.
Many thanks

Brilliant, thanks for that. The guy I bought the car off didn't have a clue, and passed all his knowledge on to me :rolleyes: He did say that you should start the car first with the key and then there was a way of getting the key out with the engine running. After that he said you could then open lock and start the car without the key.
Many thanks

You're most welcome :p

Seem like the the guy you got it from was...ummm...what to say that's not rude?...LOL

You're most welcome :p

Seem like the the guy you got it from was...ummm...what to say that's not rude?...LOL

Now you've sorted that bit out for me, (brilliant), do you know where's the best place to get another key coded (I've got a new un-programmed and uncut key blade) Don't really want to take it to the Nissan Stealers.

BTW just coded my 6CD changer/radio with a neat android app, free down load, worked a treat.:)

Now you've sorted that bit out for me, (brilliant), do you know where's the best place to get another key coded (I've got a new un-programmed and uncut key blade) Don't really want to take it to the Nissan Stealers.

I think Timpsons can do it...possibly...but you have to take it and the car to one of the specific places that do it...
Not all Timpsons can do car keys that have immobilisers built in (like our NATS system)

Looked into getting a new key for my Brothers Audi (piece of crap) as he only has one key :rolleyes:

...anyway...Audi wanted something like £250...and Timpsons wanted £150
....according to my brother...which means he probably made that up LOL
either way I can't say for sure as we never did it in the end...
(the audi's sat in the garden, bent pistons and no compression due to ruined headgasket etc...etc... <_<

Worth checking at a few different big name locksmiths and perhaps even some local/mobile/specific vehicle locksmiths too
get plenty of info/prices/quotes...don't get ripped off...but if it sound's too good to be true...then check the small print (extra charges) ^_^

I think Timpsons can do it...possibly...but you have to take it and the car to one of the specific places that do it...
Not all Timpsons can do car keys that have immobilisers built in (like our NATS system)

Looked into getting a new key for my Brothers Audi (piece of crap) as he only has one key :rolleyes:

...anyway...Audi wanted something like £250...and Timpsons wanted £150
....according to my brother...which means he probably made that up LOL
either way I can't say for sure as we never did it in the end...
(the audi's sat in the garden, bent pistons and no compression due to ruined headgasket etc...etc... <_<

Worth checking at a few different big name locksmiths and perhaps even some local/mobile/specific vehicle locksmiths too
get plenty of info/prices/quotes...don't get ripped off...but if it sound's too good to be true...then check the small print (extra charges) ^_^

Hi, checked out H. Harold in Sheffield, they say Stealers only, tried another place in Barnsley (can't remember name) but they didn't do coding at all, so still looking, will ring Timpsons tomorrow and find out from them where and if and how much. Saw a utube vid of one being done but the guy had a monster bit of kit which he didn't say what it was. But it would do most cars with the look of the first menu. (haven't got one of those knocking about in a draw anywhere, have you :p)

Thanks again for your time and effort ;)

piston broke said:
....will ring Timpsons tomorrow and find out from them where and if and how much.
Good luck, I hope they can ;)
Saw a utube vid of one being done but the guy had a monster bit of kit which he didn't say what it was. But it would do most cars with the look of the first menu. (haven't got one of those knocking about in a draw anywhere, have you :p)
Sorry...not that I know of :p
Thanks again for your time and effort ;)

You're welcome...keep us updated on progress/outcome ;)

Good luck, I hope they can ;)

Sorry...not that I know of :p

You're welcome...keep us updated on progress/outcome ;)

Called 4 auto electricians/key coders today. Only one said he could do it, but they were a pain. Said that (and you have to make your own mind up about what exactly he meant ?) on pay as you go, it would take two tokens. One for the immobaliser and one for the doors etc. So more expensive than most. He quoted £85 but advised to get in touch with the dealers. He said that if the price from them was within say £10 of his it would be better to use the dealers. Called by the dealers today. £45

£45 at the dealers?.... o_O ...go for it...sounds pretty good to me ;)

....and at the dealer it witll be guaranteed for....1 year?...I think? :p

Back