Taking The Micra To The Nurburgring

Hello

iv just joined the site to ask for some help and advice.

My Friend got given a micra 3 years ago and it has been a great car for him but its time for him to get something abit newer so we decided we would have to give his micra a send off so we have decided to take it to the nurburgring for its last road trip.

Its a competly standard 1.0 k11 in navy blue 3rd with 75,000 miles on it. What i need to know is how we can make it abit more track ready with out spending loads of money on it.

Our plan up to now is strip it out so there is just a dash, make a roll cage and weld it in, fit bucket seats, lower it, fit some bigger brakes, de cat and a back box put 14inch steel wheels on with some half decent tyres. what else ?

So is there a cheap way to lower it? use springs of a different car maybe?
bigger brakes? disc and calipers from a different car that fit direct ?
And is there anything else we can do to make it abit more track ready?

Any ideas or suggestions with be great cheers

Hello and welcome.

Me and my brother took his 100nx to the 'ring a few years ago, totally standard, and it was a hoot. I would say the best thing to do is learn what you can of the circuit on a ps3 etc and read up on the circuit etiquette, do your research and pick sessions where it is likely to be quiet. Watch from a few corners before going out yourself.
The 'ring is expensive these days and still carries a hefty tax if you need recovering from the circuit or bend the armco. The locals are nuts so don't even try taking them on!

In terms of the car I would say take a helmet and use it, get some good tyres (lots of the track is continually shaded and the weather is iffy in that party of the world). Also make sure the car is as tip-top as it can be mechanically, do all those little jobs you've been putting off.

The 'ring isn't that hard on brakes so I would just make sure they work well and fit some better front pads perhaps (e.g. Mintex 1144). No need for big brakes imo.

Strip the car if you fancy by all means but it's a fair old slog to the' ring so you might prefer creature comforts over chasing a few seconds lap time.

I think if it were me I'd want some stiffer/lower springs (50 quid 2nd hand) but you'd be fine without.

Most important part is plan well so you enjoy it and you give the car the send off you want. Hope it works out for you. And don't forget to explore the area a little bit, it's a really nice underrated part of Europe; places, people and food are all good. Not to mention the beer but you probably already knew that!

Get a laser front toe and camber alignment for 45 quid to make sure she runs true and +1 on the decent tyres, and make sure the brakes pull you up true, you don't want any handling surprises at 100mph corners...

Back