swapping my 12" subs for 8"

im thinking of gettin rid of my 2 12" subs as they take up the whole boot space in my k11. been looking at 2 kicker solo baracs at the mo. anyone knowo any other websites apart from the sticky already here? does anyone have 8" subs? also any adivce or recommendations?

thanks

cool, quite like the jbl one. looking to spend around 150. if i bought 2 of those jbls? would a jbl 2 channel 400w amp be ok? if not what would i need?

how good would these actualy sound though compared to a 12" with 300w rms?

amplifiers which can run 2 of the above jbl subs

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=4685 (perfect match)

ALPINE V-POWER MONO AMPLIFIER MRP-M350 (very good match)

an 8" subwoofer cone has less then half of the surface area than a 12" cone, and so it would have to move twice as far in order to move the same amount of air.
it obviously doesnt move twice as far and so the result is it moves less air and this creates a more "punchy" sort of mid-bass, rather then the sort of "deep" low bass you get from a 12"

Sorry dude, missed your second post!

As the subwoofers use dual voice coils, it gives you a number of options with regards to wiring. That amp WONT be suitable because of this......I'll try and explain!

If you wire 2 things in series, you double the impedance (ohms), if you wire them in parallel, you halve the impedance (ohms). Therefore for these 2 subwoofers you actually have 4 coils (dual voice coils) and not 2 like with single voice coil subs!

Hence......you can get the following configs:

Wire each of the subs voice coils in parallel to give 2ohms per sub, then wire these 2 subs in parallel with one another to give a 1ohm load to the amp.

OR

Wire each of the subs voice coils in series to give 8 ohms per sub, then wire these 2 subs in parallel to give a 4ohm load to the amp.

You can also do double series, i.e. series per sub, then series between the 2 subs for 16ohms, but this is useless as its too high. The higher the impedance, the lower the power output of the amp!

Therefore the only combinations of the 2 subs that are of any use are.......

Series and Parallel to give 4ohm total load
or
Parallel and Parallel to give 1ohm total load

So you ideally need an amp that can output at least 400wrms (200 per sub) into either 1ohm or 4ohm, and the amp above only does 220wrms into 4ohms and wont even load down to 1ohm!!!

Right..........now to look for an amp to do this.

This makes this amp perfect:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=4134

As it does slightly over 400wrms into 4ohms :)

damn sorry micra_k11

i didnt realise the subs were dual voice coil , i just assumed they were single because of how cheap they are

my bad dude

Back