Super Turbo on ebay.

That's in excellent condition , Does anyone know what kind of price we're looking at here...I dunno why but £2500 keeps popping into my head......

it has hubcaps, half tinted back windows and all the photos are dark, I don't know how you can see from that what condition it is.....

its not just the gearbox you have to worry about thats the easy part its the pedals

I mean will it work with the st drive shafts,i dont think it will but i could be wrong.The pedals would be the same as a k10 so easy in comparison

Think you need a bluebird box. Never heard cherry ones being a suitable alternative.

If it could be changed to a manual easily i'd be tempted, but i imagine ST gearboxes are pretty rare, reading some of the posts it seems that Ed's been chewing his way through all the spare ones! :)

I do want a car upgrade soon but i'm so tempted by a 4th gen civic i-vt!

If it could be changed to a manual easily i'd be tempted, but i imagine ST gearboxes are pretty rare, reading some of the posts it seems that Ed's been chewing his way through all the spare ones! :)

I do want a car upgrade soon but i'm so tempted by a 4th gen civic i-vt!

I have two spare gearboxs.also big difference in choice of car upgrade there,completely different cars in everyway.

Hmm i'll consider it.
A super turbo is a car i'd like to own... someday, i'm not sure if todays its finacially viable, i don't have space for two cars and i imagine that as a run around it would be pretty expensive to run! :)

I've also heard the suspension is less than brilliant, i do a lot more driving in the country then town.

Plus after purchase theres the cost of gearbox, peddles and then getting it changed, i don't really have the facilities to do a gearbox i.e. no drive, can't use the garage, can only park round the corner from my house.

Hmm, i expected around that but i may have to pass. I probably wouldn't take good enough care of a ST anyway.

Hmm, i expected around that but i may have to pass. I probably wouldn't take good enough care of a ST anyway.

Yeah go for the stinking Vti so mate ha ha

Hmm i'll consider it.
A super turbo is a car i'd like to own... someday, i'm not sure if todays its finacially viable, i don't have space for two cars and (1)i imagine that as a run around it would be pretty expensive to run! :)

(2) I've also heard the suspension is less than brilliant, i do a lot more driving in the country then town.

(3) Plus after purchase theres the cost of gearbox, peddles and then getting it changed, i don't really have the facilities to do a gearbox i.e. no drive, can't use the garage, can only park round the corner from my house.

1.Not true unless its not being serviced regularly and looked after,theyre mint on petrol even at 150hp

2.Not bad considering the car can be upto 20years old,drive a starlet of that year and come back to me,also can be upgraded.

3.Buy the civic mate because I'm sick of reading your posts about a car you know nothing about, ####ing me off at this stage

That is all

only half an hour away form me...who cares if its an auto? its a super turbo thats quite cheap! its still rare and quick...plus auto boxes are stronger...

Barry is to abrupt, but I agree with his point.

I came 11th over all at a Santa Pod handeling event in my ST with totally stock suspension...

They can't be that bad.

Fuel is about 28-32mpg average.

1.Not true unless its not being serviced regularly and looked after,theyre mint on petrol even at 150hp

2.Not bad considering the car can be upto 20years old,drive a starlet of that year and come back to me,also can be upgraded.

3.Buy the civic mate because I'm sick of reading your posts about a car you know nothing about, ####ing me off at this stage

That is all

Theres no need to be rude, as far as im aware no one becomes an expert on a car until they have owned it, its just most don't use they're knowledge as a chance to be rude towards someone just because they maybe don't know as much, if you get annoyed that easily maybe you should try and think before you post.

As to your second point, i was comparing it to more recent cars, i think to get it handling great you will end up spending a lot of money, leading back to my original point that maybe at this stage i can't afford to own a car like this.

And thirdly its a Civic VT not a VTI if we are going to be pedantic over little things. (Which in its own way is a fairly hard car to find these days in that particular model 4th gen although obviously not nearly as rare as a super turbo)
I don't see why you seem to be taking my last post as a personal attack.

Squarepants, if you spend a fair bit of money on anything theres not point spending it unless its of the kind you want... if you wouldn't mind an Auto then thats fine.

whats so bad about the autobox? you can eat a burger, be on your phone AND drive at the same time then

Theres no need to be rude, as far as im aware no one becomes an expert on a car until they have owned it, its just most don't use they're knowledge as a chance to be rude towards someone just because they maybe don't know as much, if you get annoyed that easily maybe you should try and think before you post.

As to your second point, i was comparing it to more recent cars, i think to get it handling great you will end up spending a lot of money, leading back to my original point that maybe at this stage i can't afford to own a car like this.

And thirdly its a Civic VT not a VTI if we are going to be pedantic over little things. (Which in its own way is a fairly hard car to find these days in that particular model 4th gen although obviously not nearly as rare as a super turbo)
I don't see why you seem to be taking my last post as a personal attack.

Squarepants, if you spend a fair bit of money on anything theres not point spending it unless its of the kind you want... if you wouldn't mind an Auto then thats fine.

I apoligise for my post I realise it offended you but your post frustrated me ok. Lets just leave it at that .

Baz

hello all never used a furum before so please forgive me if im writing in the wrong part ive just brought a 1989 march superturbo yesterday off ebay the 1 your all talking about. it starts up fine but there is a red light on the dash and the car goes about 1 mile an hour think its in limp mode or something. my brother looked at the ecu and said the flashes look normal showing no faults. so does anyone know what this red light means ? i think it may be a senser but not sure the of the fault
so can anyone help many thanks for taking the time to read this john

I guess its not the exact one that is adertised at teh link in this discussion since the advert stated that it was in good working order....

if its a different one can you post the info (or a link) to the advert info?

1mph with a warning light on doesnt sound right

can you share any more (less exagerated info) and a picture of the warning light that is on?

if the exhaust is leaking before the turbocharger could this cause a significant reduction in performance?

did the guy show you the car working normally before you bought it?

do you ming if I ask roughly how much you paid for it?

Going by what the add says I'd say the exhaust may be the first thing to get checked, as sammo said.

When I got problems with my induction it made my ecu act up. However, that is just it attempting to rectify whatever the other problem is, the ecu should be fine.

You really need to have the car thoroughly checked out...and sorry to say it, but you should have done that before buying it. These cars require vigilant upkeep and should not be purchased brashly...even when they're in top working order. I hope you can get it fixed up again :)

Going by what the add says I'd say the exhaust may be the first thing to get checked, as sammo said.

When I got problems with my induction it made my ecu act up. However, that is just it attempting to rectify whatever the other problem is, the ecu should be fine.

You really need to have the car thoroughly checked out...and sorry to say it, but you should have done that before buying it. These cars require vigilant upkeep and should not be purchased brashly...even when they're in top working order. I hope you can get it fixed up again :)

Excelent post. . .Man it sound like the exhaust temp light would'nt affect performance but if the exhaust is leaking it can affect it.

Can I ask you a question?Did you drive the car before purchase?
The previous owner tryed to purchase a manual gearbox from me but then started messing me around with money. . .then all of a sudden the cars f/s on Ebay and he's gone from the site. Scam artist if you ask me.

hi yes the exhaust was leaking when i brought it so i know that i was slower than it should be. we went for a test drive and it seamed underpowered but i desided before i went that i was gonna replace hoses and silicone pipes etc. so anyway i paid £1400 for it . but and its a big but about 20 miles from his house on my way back to telford the car set on fire on the a38 f***inghell .. what happened was he had put the ht leads on top of the turbo heat sheild and they set on fire and i noticed as soon as i smelt burning the light come on the dash.. so i went all the way home got some ht leads put them on it started but its like its in limp mode. will try take picture of this light tonight. thanks guys . john

hi yes the exhaust was leaking when i brought it so i know that i was slower than it should be. we went for a test drive and it seamed underpowered but i desided before i went that i was gonna replace hoses and silicone pipes etc. so anyway i paid £1400 for it . but and its a big but about 20 miles from his house on my way back to telford the car set on fire on the a38 f***inghell .. what happened was he had put the ht leads on top of the turbo heat sheild and they set on fire and i noticed as soon as i smelt burning the light come on the dash.. so i went all the way home got some ht leads put them on it started but its like its in limp mode. will try take picture of this light tonight. thanks guys . john

What leads did you use?And are they the right way round on the distributor?

If they were Nissan Leads they would have went on "fire" as mine all go across over the turbo and they've been fine the last 2 years. . .and why did'nt you mention this in the first post?

Mate a bit of punctuation in your posts would'nt go a stray,don't know where one line ends and the next starts. . .your writing a text message on a phone

It would be in limp mode from an exhaust leak or replacing leads

Baz

ok cheers baz! im not very good at punctuation thanks for picking that up. But i'll make an effort for ya

don't know what make the leads was because they set on fire no writing left on them.

would it of made a difference knowing about breaking down either way the lights on . New nissan leads fitted .

light was not on when the exhaust was blowing are you sure this will put the light on?

anyway cheers

ok cheers baz! im not very good at punctuation thanks for picking that up. But i'll make an effort for ya

don't know what make the leads was because they set on fire no writing left on them.

would it of made a difference knowing about breaking down either way the lights on . New nissan leads fitted .

light was not on when the exhaust was blowing are you sure this will put the light on?

anyway cheers

I'm talking bout the new leads man,

Where did you buy the leads because they come from japan,so I doubt you got them that quick.How much you pay for them and I'll tell you weather they are Nissan one's or not ?
Are they fitted in the correct order on the distributor cap?
The light has nothing got to do with the way its driving. . .

take out the sensor and give a clean sometimes can be faulty

hi baz these leads were for a 1989 nissan silvia turbo s12 brand new. i know they are not the actally the st ones but connection are all the same as the ones that was fitted.

the firing order is correct and apart from the exhaust sounds it perfect on tickover

the thing is before the light was on' the car did drive but as soon as it came on it does about 1 mile an hour and that is the truth.
which sensor do you mean? cheers for your help

hi baz these leads were for a 1989 nissan silvia turbo s12 brand new. i know they are not the actally the st ones but connection are all the same as the ones that was fitted.

the firing order is correct and apart from the exhaust sounds it perfect on tickover

the thing is before the light was on' the car did drive but as soon as it came on it does about 1 mile an hour and that is the truth.
which sensor do you mean? cheers for your help

Not the same as the st ones as the one going onto the forth plug is different to the other three but may still work.The sensor s in the bottom of the cat just above where the exhaust system bolts on. . .Did you service the car?Check all fliuds,hoses,vacuum lines,ignition timing?

does the turbo still have the heat shield on it?

i used the original plastic wrapping on my new HT leads that i installed, they only very lightly touch the turbo housing heat shield as i'd rather not have happen what you did

sounds like he mighta messed with the HT leads trying to fix the problem before you got it as its shouldn't happen with leads in the stock position

have a good read through the threads on here as i had some issues with the car being under powered it took months to sort it out with the ever helpful baz and the blood from a stone Ed! got there in the end though

you have a boost gauge on it? if not, get one!

hi yes he had replaced the leads but not putting them in the correct position causing the fire. he later told me this had happened before.

the turbo still has the heat shield on. i have put the new set on and have routed them the way all yours go (much better)

no boost gauge yet .. only the standard 1 . thanks for your help i,ll keep looking through the posts..

hi yes he had replaced the leads but not putting them in the correct position causing the fire. he later told me this had happened before.

the turbo still has the heat shield on. i have put the new set on and have routed them the way all yours go (much better)

no boost gauge yet .. only the standard 1 . thanks for your help i,ll keep looking through the posts..

Don't think your catching my drift. . .on the distribrutor are they
fitted in the correct position on the distributor cap in relation to there corresponding cylinder 1-4?
Routing them around the turbo etc. should not affect them as long as there good quality(as in go on fire)

Don't think your catching my drift. . .on the distribrutor are they
fitted in the correct position on the distributor cap in relation to there corresponding cylinder 1-4?
Routing them around the turbo etc. should not affect them as long as there good quality(as in go on fire)

should be as he/she says it idles ok, if they were wrong it wouldnt even idle at all.

Baz, surely if it's "ticking over nicely" then all the leads MUST be connected in the right order.

I'm also puzzled that the leads were so badly burned that they were unrecognize-able (as to their brand <nissan or whatever>)....to me, this sugests that ALL of them were fried? from end to end including the short lead from the coil to the distributer?...not just the region that was in contact with the turbo.....
Q: is this the case?

linz0577: Im sure that if you can get all your problems fixed...youre gonna love this car!

linz0577: your posts are much clearer to read now...nice one! keep practicing the full written english (it can be a pain but we understand better and then we can help better toooo:))

do your self a favour and get your hands on a digital camera as soon as possible (spend some more dosh if you aint got one)...then take some good sharp photos of...

1. the FRIED leads back on the car in place
2. the warning light ON
3. the new leads

Do you have a spark plug spanner?...can you remove the plugs and take some good photos of these ..especially the firing ends....(keep them in the right order)....and can you make a note of the spark plug type numbers on the plugs tooo.

:)

another question...
Q was the car you bought,, exactly the same one that was advertised in the first post on this thread?

Im sure that between us "the noob-buyer<you>, the cool<sm>, the ever-helpfull<ba>, the blood-&-stone<ed>, and the drunken sammo....." we will get his diagnosed....and hopefully another ST in good order for maximum safe enjoyment

EDIT: super LS said it before I gould post....(nice one..super LS...are you're on the team?)

Baz, surely if it's "ticking over nicely" then all the leads MUST be connected in the right order.

I'm also puzzled that the leads were so badly burned that they were unrecognize-able (as to their brand <nissan or whatever>)....to me, this sugests that ALL of them were fried? from end to end including the short lead from the coil to the distributer?...not just the region that was in contact with the turbo.....
Q: is this the case?

linz0577: Im sure that if you can get all your problems fixed...youre gonna love this car!

linz0577: your posts are much clearer to read now...nice one! keep practicing the full written english (it can be a pain but we understand better and then we can help better toooo:))

do your self a favour and get your hands on a digital camera as soon as possible (spend some more dosh if you aint got one)...then take some good sharp photos of...

1. the FRIED leads back on the car in place
2. the warning light ON
3. the new leads

Do you have a spark plug spanner?...can you remove the plugs and take some good photos of these ..especially the firing ends....(keep them in the right order)....and can you make a note of the spark plug type numbers on the plugs tooo.

:)

another question...
Q was the car you bought,, exactly the same one that was advertised in the first post on this thread?

Im sure that between us "the noob-buyer<you>, the cool<sm>, the ever-helpfull<ba>, the blood-&-stone<ed>, and the drunken sammo....." we will get his diagnosed....and hopefully another ST in good order for maximum safe enjoyment

EDIT: super LS said it before I gould post....(nice one..super LS...are you're on the team?)

lol

hi again .. the night the car broke down in derby i went back to telford to get the new leads and i got the firing order off a goggle search . then went back to the car and replaced the burnt ones in the correct order and it started fine and tickovers perfect.

but warning warning light was still on i will get some pictures for you all soon .

i would like to say thanks to all you guys for all your help as i feel lost on this car very complex little bit of kit.

hi again .. the night the car broke down in derby i went back to telford to get the new leads and i got the firing order off a goggle search . then went back to the car and replaced the burnt ones in the correct order and it started fine and tickovers perfect.

but warning warning light was still on i will get some pictures for you all soon .

i would like to say thanks to all you guys for all your help as i feel lost on this car very complex little bit of kit.

Something not quite right obviously

Now that your ignition is fixed up I really think you need to be getting that exhaust and turbo looked at. If leads are getting fried and there's heat shielding on it then it stands to reason that something is drastically over heating either in the exhaust manf or on the turbine side of the turbo. Turbo may be due for a recon?? If its the warning lamp I think it is. Is the sensor for that located near the cat?

Back