Super S guage cluster

CMF_tris

» CMF Member
ive found a JDM super s guage cluster for sale. i know people have had problems with fitting them... is it nearly impossible?? or would it be worth buying it n atleast trying?

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
What do you call a super S cluster? One with a rev counter?

Is the JDM cluster you've located from an auto or manual? The auto version has a PRND21 indicator on the speedo?

All New Zealands K11 are JDM, so I've pulled three different styles of JDM cluster apart now. They've all used what appear to be the same plugs. Two of them were definitely interchangeable.
One had LED's, another bulbs for the PRND21 indicator.

I wanted a rev counter and got the cluster from a 1.3L auto. I fitted the speedo from my non rev counter cluster into the rev counter cluster. I did this because I didn't want to see the PRND21 indicator & because I wanted to keep the odometer correct.

My loom behind the cluster had one wire missing for the rev counter signal. There was a wire coming out of the correct pin from the computer but it stopped at the next plug where it should have carried on to the cluster.

I can take photos of the wiring for comparison if you want.

CMF_ed.

» CMF Member
AFAIK, no one has been able to put a JDM cluster in to the UK built K11's.

Search, there has been a big thread about it with photo's of the back of the clusters from UK and Jap versions.

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
I think this would be the thread with the photos
https://micra.org.uk/cmf/message/10772

This photo is my original cluster out of a JDM 1994 5spd CG10DE powered K11.
I took the speedo out this & swapped it into a rev counter version which is currently in the car.
It all works perfectly.
If your UK made loom has the same plugs, it wouldn't take much to swap the pins around. I've done it before with N14 Pulsar clusters, of which there are many versions.
There are 30 pins total but some aren't used on my loom, e.g. OD off light & ABS lights, and this cluster has 5 pins that go nowhere, one of them is the connection for rev counter. Each plug has pins numbered, 1-8, 9-18, 19-30. I haven't put a meter over everything but this is how it looks:

1=ABS
2=no connection
3=cat overheat
4=alternator
5=brake light
6=fuel light
7=no connection
8=temp gauge U connection

9=illumination
10=illumination
11=no connection
12=no connection
13=check engine light
14=left turn indicator
15=no connection
16=common (also connects with 21, 27)
17=right turn indicator
18=O/D ECVT

19=no connection
20=connected to speedo
21=common (also connects with 16, 27)
22=something to do with ABS
23=connected to speedo
24=seatbelt light
25=connected to (-) on fuel & temp gauges
26=connected to (U) on fuel gauge
27=common, connected to (+) on fuel & temp gauges, (also connects with 16, 21)
28=oil pressure light
29=highbeam light
30=highbeam light

Compared with the pinout of the UK version shown on the post above, it certainly looks rearranged. Note the pin numbering is also different, look at the number of pins in each plug.

Attachments

• 29375.jpg
    29375.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 19

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
This is the revcounter dash I fitted into my K11.
My K11 loom was missing the wire with the rev counter signal going to pin 19.
I connected the green wire seen in this picture.

Attachments

• 30046.jpg
    30046.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 20

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
The other end of the green wire was connected to the plug beside the computer. I just barred the end of the wire, bent it over & jammed it into the back of where the signal wire goes into the plug.
The signal wire is a light blue wire with a black stripe coming out of the computer that goes to this plug.
On another K11 with factory rev counter, this wire carried on in the loom that goes to the cluster.

These are JDM K11.

Attachments

• 30047.jpg
    30047.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 19

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
I know GTRHOLIC has tried this, but had issues with both the water temp gauge and the fuel gauge. Water temp is an easy fix because you can just grab an aftermarket gauge and do it that way. Fuel gauge however, is another thing. I think he tried using a jap fuel sender and stuff, but couldn't get it to work.

If the above method did work, then a complete definitive guide on how to convert UK clusters to work with the JDM ones would be ideal. Wouldn't be an issue if the PCB needed rewiring or whatever either. A fair amount of people keep saying "no one has managed to get it working" but there /has/ to be a way. Whether it'll be worth the possible mammoth effort is another thing.

Did you have any issues with your fuel/water gauges nz_aj?

---dens

smidge

» CMF Member
if it didn't cost too much to get my hands on a cluster i've got the electronics skills to make it happen and document it

one of those things that isn't worth the effort if the parts cost a bomb

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
Rev counter OK.
Temp gauge OK.
The fuel gauge would read full all the time. Noticed it moved the wrong direction when the key was turned off. Assumed there was a polarity problem. Have swapped things around & will observe over the next couple of weeks. I only drive about 50km per week.

Back