super charger or turbo

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
is the reason people go with turbo's cause they are more readily available than superchargers
do super chargers produce power from lower rev range? whilst turbo's wait to get the right amount of exhaust gas before coming in to action

oh excuse
are super chargers only playing with the throttlebody air intake and not exhaust manifold

Superchargers are driven by belt so they dont use exhaust gases, they give boost all the time, but also take power from the engine to spool/spin unlike turbos. So if you imagine -50hp to drive supercharger but it will give 100hp back so you are still 50hp in plus. Just example
I think supercharges are better, its giving boost constantly, more revs more boost, and not one sudden kick after 3000rpm, but thats exactly what many people like. including me.
I think turbos are possibly more popular cos they dont involve as much work I would say.

I think there was thread like this i just couldn't find it.

superchargers run of a belt from the engine, as you put your foot down it turns the belt faster which turns the screws in the supercharger which in turn compresses air into the engine. They give more low - mid range power. They do not mess round with the exhuast in any way.

Turbos run of the exhuast gases from the engine and give more mid - high end power.

(Im in no way an expert in this)

watch this for more info

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGdg2Fd2WQY

I prefer superchargers with the 'wine they give out'. And the Instant power they provide.
Check solarice's thread - he did a supercharger conversion. (An eaton 45 supercharger)

Thread here about Turbo,supercharger and nitrous.
http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/36882-Turbo-sc-nitrous?highlight=supercharger

you thinking of adding one of these two then?

i had this vision/dream of 20-30 k10's folowed by k11's/k12's cruising down - and all burping nicely(turbo'd)
i seem to be a k11 life-er so all possibilitys arent far fetched
and someone "said" k11's should have had more turbos versions as the k10's had em

Just to correct Eliot...ive got an sc12 Mr2 Mk1 not an eaton supercharger :) (but i get where hes coming from)

mine can produce boost from standing start, depends how much i press the pedal down as to whether or not the sc is on...so normal driving is like driving an NA and keeps fuel usage down, but as soon as my foots down about 20 / 25% iirc its on boost and gives you a noticable boost kick pretty much all the time...unless youre in 5th doing 30mph. :D

turbo or sc both are probably about as hard as each other to build...though id say mapping a sc should be easier than a turbo (something i cant prove as ive not mapped a turbo micra haha)

Back