Stupidly easy exhaust flamer

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
I know some people don't approve of this type of thing, I ask those people to please keep quiet and not junk up this thread while we discuss.

Last year I had an idea involving a relay and the original coil on the car, the problem was the spark was too weak to get any decent flames out the back.

Now I have a K11 so no unburnt fuel in the exhaust :(

I've heard that if you stick a glow plug (not a spark plug) in the end of the zorst you get flames, personally I can't see this working as petrol needs a spark not just heat.

I need someone with a k10 or de-catted K11 to test this theory out, if it works it could be cheap flamers for everyone!!!

Can anyone explain how it might work if it would work? Maybe someone could have a go on a diesel car too

i had a mate with a fiesta and he has a spark plug bolted into his exhaust and a switch in the car so it could go on and off and it worked a belter but it was a fiesta and it had a propper bean can attached to the back
looked kool though

I tried the spark plug, couldn't get a strong enough spark, did he buy a flamer box or was it a DIY job?

ill see if i can find out but i havent spoke to him in a while as hes been barred from my work and hes a bit of an arse lol

How did you wire the spark plug up? I mean ideally you'd be running a second coil, which should easily ignite fuel as it does so in the engine

When I did it I had a 5 pin relay, the relay switch the negative wire from the engine coil to coil number 2 in the boot. This created a spark in the exhaust and dumped fuel into the exhaust system by cutting the engine. However it would only ignite at really high revs and wouldn't remain lit.

The effect I'm looking for is when I drop the revs to change gear I get a burst of flame out the back. Obviously not to be used on the road.
I want a sytem that can remain turned on, not be switched on everytime I want sparks and I want it separate from the engine

Your getting mistaken boys..

We all know the usual, Spark plug at end of Exhaust running off a coil.. So is turned on via a switch in the car... You then can additionally fit a cut of for the spark signal for the engine so you can 'kill' the spark in the engine and therefore send a load of unburnt fuel through the exhaust... with the Flamer ON ( Spark plug in exhaust sparking )

.. you get flames and 500 extra BHP

however, there is a very cheap and simple system dicovered in other car clubs where you can stick in a very thin piece of metal.. such as a bolt filled down or even a nail, and with it being thin and in the path of the exhaust fumes.. this can get very very hot.. when the full system is warmed up, this being very thin can get hot enough to Glow red and ignite unburnt fuel coming through the system..

Confusion arises because comparisons can be made to a glow plug in a diesel engine.

If petrol passes atomosed with air over somthing hot enough, it doesn't have to be aflame to ignite..

However in the REAL WORLD. It will only work on relatively high power turbocharged engines, which run hot enough to make the Igniter in the exhust hot enough.. to ignte fuel, and also 'over run' or caricteristically of a turbo engine, occassionally send Unbrunt fuel through the system anyway.

Bam

Back