strut bearings

Would front strut top mount bearings knock if worn? Trying to diagnose my knocking noise. Have eliminated track rod ends (brand new) and anti roll bar (off the car) so has to be either bottom ball joints or strut mounts. Rattles even going over small bumps. Not a hard knocking more a clattering. Also car is sitting quite low on passenger side but the spring doesnt look to be broken. Could the spring be knocking tho? If the plates it rests on are loose?

its just a nylon thrust bearing in the topmount marc, if its shagged you usually get heavy steering but no knocking

Does the bottom balljoints just unbolt and pop off or do you have to buy a new control arm for the facelift models? Seen balljoints for 14 quid each on ebay for upto 2002

I can get two balljoints for 30 quid or two control arms with two new bushes and balljoint for 50....maybe be as well getting the control arms?

Well my symptoms seem to match more closely to wishbone bushes than balljoints (just knocking) wishbone bushes=( knocking over rough terrain, bumps etc and loose sloppy handling and play in steering) but both are suspect at the moment and going to replace both control arms. Are they easy to prize out their bushes? Also what dimensions are the two lower strut bracket bolts mate? As old ones are screwed and will need chopped off and replaced

why dont you diagnose the fault instead of blindly replacing parts marc ? i explained how to check the balljoints on the other thread (its usually the n/s one)
members have claimed before that the ebay wishbones only last 12 months,
Bashing the new one in?? Wont that prematurely wear it?

you dont hit the actual joint when bashing it into place

Back