Steamy windows....

Over the last few weeks I have had problems with the inside of the front and rear screens steaming up really quick. As I am not into dogging or any other nocturnal in-car activites I took it that with all the rain we have been having this is quite normal until I looked in the boot.

The spare wheel, jack and tools were doing the backstroke in about 2'' of water which had obviously been there for a while. The usual suspects in these cases are normally either, rear screen, door seal or maybe a sunroof drain.

In this case, after removing the trim I traced back the water to the rear light apertures in each corner of the luggage compartment. After removing each rear light unit which is just two bolts, I found that the sponge seal was sopping wet and letting water that is channelled ether side of the door aperture into the car.
After drying out the the seals and the contents of the boot (I had to pop one of the drain hole seals to let the water out first) I resealed the two sponge seals with some silicone sealant so you could still remove the light units but also keep the water out.

Hopefully this will be the cure and I will let you know if it works!

Back