Stealth Shelf

T

Tesla

I hear a lot of talk about stealth shelves.

How are they made?

Also, how do they work. Is the fabric just stretched over a hole where the speakers are mounted? Does this not effect sound quality?

Attachments

• DSC_0733.JPG
    DSC_0733.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 334
  • DSC_0734.JPG
    DSC_0734.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 273
Basically the easiest way is the recess a pair of speakers in a piece of wood (usually mdf), so that they are flush with the rest of the surface.

Then you use acoustically transparent material and stretch this over the wood and secure underneath.

You can get this material from a place called Auto Acoustics (Google it :))

Hope that helps

Retepetsir said:
Basically the easiest way is the recess a pair of speakers in a piece of wood (usually mdf), so that they are flush with the rest of the surface.

Then you use acoustically transparent material and stretch this over the wood and secure underneath.

You can get this material from a place called Auto Acoustics (Google it :))

Hope that helps

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~ajarnold

Picture on there of my one! Solid wood using the original shelf, then carpet over the top. Held down using spray glue (sold in halfrauds)

Tesla said:
So you reinforce the original parcel shelf with some MDF?

I use 18mm plywood as its stiffer and less likely to sag over time. You could use thinner ply though, I only use 18mm as I always have some stitting around from my furniture making. If you do use MDF I would put a bar across the underside (front and back) by glueing and screwing it down to give some extra stiffness.

MDF has the advantage of not splitting or splintering. It's quite hard to cover ply in fabric without the edges going a bit manky.

You don't have to go for marine ply; normal ply would be fine, and is significantly cheaper.

Saying that, MDF normally does the job. We've done boxed and free air 6x9s in MDF and never had any issues with strength, even with stuff piled on top of it.

Boxed mdf will be more than strong enough what I was meaning a longer length of mdf for the parcel shelf may sag without some bracing. The edges of ply will be fine if you sand them properly before you cover them.

Retepetsir, where do you drive your car to need marine ply? I haven't heard of a boat micra :)

Back