Starting problem

Hiya,

I've used the search facility to see if I can find an answer for this, but still not 100% sure, so thought I'd ask.

Took the car for an oil and filter change today, and when I got it back, the monkey behind the counter said I had a flat battery. I thought it a bit weird, because the car normally starts really well.

So...... I went out to try and start the beast.....wouldn't start. It's turned over, but wouldn't fire. Had to try three or four times, then it started up. Drove about 15 miles home, parked up, and tried again after 15 mins or so.....started no problem.

I guess a battery problem is ruled out, if it's turning over ok? From what I've read in other threads sounds like dizzy cap / rotor arm? Anything else I need to check? Plugs were changed about 6 months ago.....don't know how often they need doing?

Sorry for being such a girl. :blush:

Cheers.

ignition is a good place to start, seems abit odd how it jus started playing up tho.

make sure oil hasnt been spilt onto the dizzy maybe? and that the correct amount of oil has been put in...

edit: it may also have just been flooded, see how it goes, if it turned over normally when trying to start (ie. not too slowly) your battery is fine.

Not that it's an answer for u but don't u think this is a bit weird, do u reacon they were tryin to get u to buy a new battery off them?!!!! Just that we all know that garages seem to get away with making girls pay more than needed!!! fwn

Ems said:
Not that it's an answer for u but don't u think this is a bit weird, do u reacon they were tryin to get u to buy a new battery off them?!!!! Just that we all know that garages seem to get away with making girls pay more than needed!!! fwn

That's what my o/h said. But it really wouldn't start when I left, so unless they purposely broke it........

O/h also said this has happened to him before, once last year.

rallybunny said:
That's what my o/h said. But it really wouldn't start when I left, so unless they purposely broke it........

O/h also said this has happened to him before, once last year.

Mmmmm!!!! Go back and ask them for your old battery, not the piece of poo they fitted while you were gone!!!!

Sounds like they flooded the engine, a common problem with K11's.

You need to let the engine run for a minute or 2 (at least) before switching it off again. It's because too much fuel is fed to the engine when its first started, and if you dont let it use all this fuel, it'll stay in the engine and prevent you from starting it next time.

They just must have started it, checked the oil was circulating properly then turned off the engine, hence the problem

It could have been a bit of damp in the dizzy cap, can't hurt to give the terminals a bit of a clean up and check that everything in there is gravy and that hopefully they flooded it.

Back