Starting problem

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Hi guys

Ive got yet another ignition based problem on my car. When turning the key, the accessories and dashboard lights come on fine, but when i go to start it, 4 out of 5 times it wont do anything. I have to keep turning the key back and forth until it finally kicks in and starts.

Is it likely the barrel is worn out or would it be an electrical issue? If i change the barrel, does that mean i'l need a new key too?

Cheers
Arnold

if the barrel is changed mate then yes new key, i will look at it friday im sure whatever it is i can fix it or if not source the problem once and for all

Ok mate cheers. It'l probably work fine round yours! Could always replace the final stage of the barrel with a start / stop button i guess?

my immobiliser gave me the big one! and so I added a momentary swich to the dash for the final stage (starter motor crank)...with the switch the starter will crank without the key but the engine won't fire up....you still need the key to switch on the ignition so that the engine will run.

Personally I dont think it is a significant risk for 'easier to nick'....any fool with a screw driver and a mallet will have a K10 micra in less than 20 seconds....switch or no switch.

besides... a switch is cool!

just be sure to select one with the correct rating.

Speedle said:
maybe but makes the car easir to steal unless done properly

Well it is immobilized already which i know works great - and thats with the key.

I was thinking of having to use the key to turn on the accessories & dashboard lights etc, and the on/off switch's power can run off the dashboard power cable e.g. if the key isnt turned, the switch wont have power and wont work.

Then i have the button as an option to start the car when the key finally decides to give up on me! Its been absolutly fine today. Weird

Arnold

starter motors on the k10 dont usually work then not work they either work or they dont but we will know more tommorow :D

Back