Speedo Convertor

My wife has just got a 2004 Micra/March which has been imported from Japan.
I need to have the speedo converted from kph to mph.
The standard convertors on eBay etc won't work because it needs a CAN Bus version (whatever that means) and these are significantly dearer.
The instrument cluster differs from the UK Micra spec in that it doesn't have a tacho and the odometer/clock readout is larger on the UK dial.
However, despite the differences, can I replace the Jap one with a UK one or will the pin-outs be different?
Any other suggestions would be welcome.

they should all be interchangable as far as i know the wiring should be the same.

only drawback is a new one from nissan will set you back around £600 if not more, and even then it will read 0 miles, as the mileage is stored in the gauge cluster not on the e.c.u. and it is illegal to tamper with these even if you are bumping up the milage not taking it off.

your best bet is to go to a scrap yard and try to find a set with a similar mileage to your own car.
and these gauges are a ###### to get out, you have to dis-assemble most of the dash.

if its any good to you i have a set of gauges in mph with 74,000 miles on them. i live in Ireland, you can have the gauges for free if you pay postage.

The sensor is ultimately mechanical. I so no reason why the signal from the sensor cannot immediately be intercepted and done that way. None of the other electronics would be any of the wiser. I cant see why the CAN interface should be of any concern.

Back