Spare wheel advice

Hi guys,

My original tyres are 15" 195/45/15 78w, but ive priced up a spare alloy with tyre and comes to well over £150 plus postage. So could i use a 15" 195/45/15 78v that i've seen second hand ?

As the 'W' and 'V' are max speed ratings, 'W' being 168mph and 'V' being 149mph, don't think it will make much difference on a Micra!;) (my Micra has 185-50-16 H tyres that are rated at 130mph)

Thanks for the replies, just didn't wanna fork out for a spare as it would only be on a couple of days anyway. Was talking to a mechanic about having a new crossmember fitted and he said its not worth it, but i said its worth it to me!

I got rid of my spare wheel and replaced it with a can of sealant and a pump. I use the extra space it saves a little weight. A lot of the car manufacturers do it now anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Micra Sports Club mobile app
You've obviously never had a side wall puncture then? Very silly move, if you nick the side wall on anything the resulting puncture will not be fixed with a can of sealant and you will be stuck with an un-drivable car!

I'll just call the AA. If it's good enough for the OEMs it's good enough for me. I've had one puncture in 30 yrs. I'll take my chances.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Micra Sports Club mobile app
The OEM's do it because it's the cheap option, no other reason at all.............
In about 3/4 million miles of driving I've had half a dozen punctures, a couple of which definitely could not have been fixed with a can of sealant and as for calling the AA, that rather disrupts the journey, two three hours delay at best.....
I lean the other way, dump the spacesaver and fit a full size matching spare, that way a puncture causes minimum delay. Weight is hardly a problem unless you are tracking the car, then you take every thing out of the car anyway before going on track.

Back