Sort of new owner....brake grabbing issue

Morning All,

Slightly odd one this. I've recently inherited a Nissan Micra 1.0E from my mother who recently passed away, so sad times, but you try and look for a silver lining. I currently own a BMW E39 M5, which has it's insurance up for renewal, as in, in the next few days so I don't have long to think about this.

I'm thinking of putting the M5 into storage for the Winter season, and using the Micra. I've been a named driver on my mother's Micra's for years and have loved driving them, not quite the outright pace of an M5, but in terms of cheap to run, no contest.

One thing is putting me off and that is an issue that has affected this car since my mother bought it and no-one has been able to sort it. I haven't actually looked at it myself, I'm no mechanic bit I do a fair few bits and bobs on the M5.

The brakes grab very suddenly. Even at only a few miles an hour, there seems to be no graduation between off and on, and it can really throw you forward in the seat. The local Nissan main dealer has said on many occasions that 'they're all like that'. I doubt it, I honestly think it verges on dangerous.

Is this a known issue on these cars? Has anyone else had this, if so, what on earth is the cure??? :doh: :suspect:

I can't say mine has that issue. There's plenty of modulation, and they respond well to light-to-heavy presses on the pedal. They do, however, grab pretty hard all of a sudden but not anywhere near the start of their usefulness.

If it's really that bad (which I guess it is for you to be asking) I can only think that the brakes are already on too tight, but then you'd know about that as they'd be dragging all the time.

Yes, I think they have been replaced, but then it's been like this for a long time. I have a mechanic mate, so I might take it over to him to have a look at.

If I'm going to use it, I want all the fluids replacing etc. to bring it up to good maintenance. Anything else you would suggest checking while it's there? Any known issues with these things?

Back