Sidelights and Main lights. Help Pls!!!

Courior

Fat ppl r harder 2 kidnap
I have done a search and cant find the answer so here goes!

I have extra lights on my car like Arnold. I had them wired to a switch that was active with the ignition, so i could turn them on/off independantly of all other lights as long as the ignition was on.. this is rubbish and so i want to wire them to the FULL beam circuit (when the blue light appears on the dash). I got my dad to flash the headlights while i stuck a tester in each pin on the bulb connector and found the active one. I spliced into this with the wire to the relay switch and then they came on when i flashed the headlights.. GRAND i thought... I went for a drive and when i put my sidelights on the driving lamps ALSO came on.. then on dipped beam they went off... then on FULL beam they came on as planned. I have been having a look and for some reason when the car is started the main lights seem to come on SOOOO faintly with the sidelights. This little bit of juice is enough to trip the fog lamp relay and activate them.. (sorry to go on hehe) Where do i find a wire that is active ONLY when the FULL beams are on? (pics will help)

Thanks in advance!

Courior

Mine do this too mate, but i never bothered to fix it! Ed wired mine up tho lol

I dont know how the wiring works because i've never tampered with it, but on the Super S it only comes on main beam. Perhaps the haynes wiring diagrams have something (yeah, right!...)

Cheers for the replies!

been through haynes.. the dip/high beam and sidelights are on completly different diagrams! i suppose im gonna just live with it like arnold. :)

this on my "todo" list too (im currently on a separate switch)

My plan is to wire to blue beam too...I might have a look at this right now

(goanna grab a coffe first.....wts)

ye mine did this iuse the bulb connecor on the drivers side as i bet u used the passanger side 1, ist summat to do with the dim-dip unit.

superls ... SPOT On mate.. i am using the passenger side (easier as next to battery). I did notice that when i unplug the connector from the bulb the other main light stops acting like a sidelight.. so if i tap into the main beam wire on the drivers side it will all be ok??? im gonna give it a go anyway. Cheers mate!!

Sammo.. from changing from the switch to come on with main beam took all of 5 mins! but as Sls just mentioned.. use the drivers side wires!!

Cheers Chaps,

I've come to the same conclusions as you guys too:

The RHS dip and main have a permenant ground and the dip and main switched lives come directly from the combination switch.

The LHS is just wierd .....the dim/dip box seems to have control of the ground and the dip signal to the LHS headlamp!! (but the main beam signal commes directly from the combination switch....)

My brain hurts trying to understand why it was designed like this....

I might even go for the splice before it gets dark...

ye i did it on the passanger cosits more convenient as MY control unit is that side, and encountered the same fate, so i swapped it. and it works fine.

I will be swapping sides tommorow eve after it rains lol. will post back.. fingers crossed it fixes it like Sls!!

Righty then.. I have swopped them over and IT WORKS!!! its the same coloured wire on both sides. on the block connector to the bulb there are 3 wires, 2 are really close together, and the other is a bit on its own.. its the loner you need to splice into. Thanks for all the help guys. and im sure a few others will find this helpful.

Cheers. Courior

Back