Noisey sidelights? (video attatched)

misterBaz

Ex. Club Member
There's been a problem with my lights since I got the car. They all work fine as in they all emitt the right amount of light when I turn the lights on, but when I turn the sidelights on a noise...like a grinding electric motor or summat sounds, then when I turn the headlights on the sound stops BUT the Full Beam dashboard light comes on...which is annoying. Now it does this MOST of the time, but very occassionally (only twice since owning the car) they have actually gone back to working fine.

I've made a video below that illustrates my point, in it you see me turning the sidelights on and off with no problems with the ignition off. Then I turn on the ignition and you can hear the problem. I then turn on the headlights and you can hear the problem goes away but I get my fullbeam light on on my dashboard, (even tho my full beam is not on) Then I go round to the front of the car to show where the noise is coming from...I hit the box but it makes no diference lol

http://www.vidilife.com/video_play_1003531_Broken_headlights.htm

Has anyone come accross this problem before? Just wondered before I start pulling things apart. I'm alright with mechanical stuff but I have a talent for breaking electrical systems lol

Cheers in advance for any help.

Baz

O

odienoo

I may be wrong but that looks like a relay to me, and the noise sounds like a knackered relay.

Hopefully this is of some help,

Chris.

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Wriggle the connectors on the back of both headlight bulbs then try again.

Fordy

Ex. Club Member
one or both of your headlight bulb connectors are melted, or loose, the headlights are back feeding because the full beam indicator is dimming coming on due to a bad earth no doubt

NISH!

this is a well documented problem in the K10 domain although the melted connector "could" be contributing..it is not the FUNDAMENTAL problem...

I have had this problem and so have many others

give me a sec and I will dig out the link to the thread that explains the cause (rather than write it out from scratch)

OP
OP
misterBaz

misterBaz

Ex. Club Member
wow, thanks for all the responses guys. Looks like it IS a common problem after all. Thanks Sammo for the links to the tutorials...I'll fix that tomorrow then :)

Cheers