Sensitive engine?

yamaimo

Ex. Club Member
Hello everyone. I have great admire to your discussion and I am wondering if anyone can give me some help. I have a 98 1.3 litter facelift model. I don’t know enough if you guys call it K11e or something else. She has done 73000 miles so far. I bought her last October and I realised that she has some problem with starting up in winter.
She fires up but dies down straightway. However, her engine copes with some extra gas to start up and it always runs Ok once warms up. Engine starts quite well as long as it is operative temperature and shows no sign of any problem.
However, once coolant cools down, the starting problem comes back. Also I realised recently it even start hesitating to start as soon as temperature drops to certain level.
I checked her base idle and adjusted to 650rpm, however cold starting gives barely 400rpm. I changed distributor cap, rotor arm, coolant temperature sensor and spark plugs

There is a wiring harness that goes from the coolant temp sensor, i have the part number in my toolbox at work, this may be your problem mate. Doesn't sound like the ol' throttle body problem tho! Ill look it out for you mate!

i think my facelift has that harness, when i did my 1.3 convewrsion, i wondered why it was there. as the wifes facelift doesn't have it.
i'm getting rid of my car, would it be worth while swapping it onto hers as it sometimes struggles to start.

before people just put a harness on, i recommend you check the basics like the base idle and the ignition timing,

daz has all the info for base idle and timing settings, if the car still struggles to start then fit the harness

Thank you guys! I am getting somewhere now. Daz, thank you for your time and looking forward to hearing from you.
yamaimo

Fordy, I checked ignition timing and base idle. The timing is 15 BTDC and base idle is 650rpm (I guess I need to reduce to 600rpm). Since I don't have tachometer, I am using Blazt nissan datascan software to find most information. I hope these are OK. By the way the regulated idle is around 750rpm. Isn't it supposed to be around 650?
Swiper, I didn't know not every micra need to fit modified harness. I used to have a 95 1.3 LX, but I did not know if she had one fitted.

Hi everyone. I have some update about my car. I put the modified harness (Nissan part no. B4079-50B00, Harness-eng Sub) on my car and it improved a bit. At least her engine starts firing up few cranks later in cold start without any help!! But still hesitating for a little while. So just in case I changed spark plugs from Bosch FR7 dcx+ to NGK BKR5E-11. I didn’t buy Nissan supply this time but I will in the future. Anyway, I worried compression fault so I tested it weekend. All cylinders gave reading between 14.25 and 14.50 bars and four cycles of cranks brought it to max. I am wondering what two revolutions means in this regard. I read it on Haynes manual though.

After compression test I was removing air cleaner housing for cleaning inside because I found paddle of oil there once. And I just realised there is something unusual on the throttle body. It has been sprayed silver paint all over. I knew it was not original TB since I bought her but I never had a close look. Well, tidy look is great but it seems no good for its movement. I scrubbed paint on the plunger of thermowax element and twisted cam adjustment screw backward and forward a bit. Then give them plenty of lubrication. I didn’t expect any improvement apart from hoping to free movement of thermowax plunger. Then, Hey! It fires up straight!!! There is still following little hesitation but only for short moment. This is great improvement for me.
I think I need adjustment on this TB around thermowax element and cam because it did not even have proper base idle set before. Well I have to read through Haynes manual to know what to do. I would appreciate if anyone can advise me for this. The illustration of Haynes for this section is not beginner friendly.

Back