Selling the K12 and buying a Ford...

Guy

Has gone over to the oily side...
Club Member
...Model T :p. Went out this morning to fit my new injector only to find there's now way to relieve the fuel pressure in the system before starting work grr. With the OBDII system, there's no way to do it, there is NO fuel pump fuse. I tried disconnecting the connector at the tank but this must cut the sparks as well because the engine turns but doesn't fire grr.

Any suggestions other than torching the ####### and buying a K11?

Don't have any suggestions, other than taking the fuel line off the fpr and putting it in a jerry can (so fuel doesn't go everywhere)

I'm tempted to put a ton of tissues around the rail and just disconnecting it like you say Karl. Just dunno how much petrol's going to pee out though cos it's at 50 psi.

No, it says the OBDII is used to kill the fuel pressure, there isn't even a fuse...

Just found a post on an MX-5 forums that says you can disconnect the fuel line anyway. Tempted to wrap a tons of tissues round the connector and take it off anyway.

According to the ESM, the K12 doesn't use a fuel return system so that wouldn't work. Appearently, leaving the car for a few hours should relieve 'some' of the pressure but I'm not convinced - what if there's a one way check on the fuel pump?

There is actually a fuel pump fuse but it's in the main power distribution box which is under the passenger side headlamp and removing that involves taking off the bumper and the wheel arch liner...:doh:.

just pull it off.... thats what i do on mine..... just keep your eyes closed and make sure you dont hurt your knuckle as it comes off lol

Funkydoodycool - the large ziptie around the bracket and plastic rod fix on the clutch is perfect :laugh:. Main problem with the K12 is the miniscule engine bay - not enough room to get to anything with the engine in place.

to drop pressure remove electrical connecter from tank/pump then start engine and allow to stop by its self when thats done remove filler cap you can then depress with fingers fuel hose in engine bay to see if pressure has gone............easy peasy

Doesn't work. Tried disconnecting the tank connector but the engine'll turn over but won't fire. I suspect the ECU turns the spark or injectors off :(. I'm off tomorrow and it' supposed to be nice so I'm plumming for Will's technique - a shed load of tissues and just disconnect it any way. Hopefully won't end up like this:

smoking-shoes.jpg

:laugh:.

Yeah, I've seen that - don't fancy the removing the arch liner and bumper needed to access the IPDM E/R...

Just been out and removed the arch liner. What a pain! Decided to put it back together and leave the bumper where it is :laugh:.

It gets better grr. I need a special plastic tool just to disconnect the bloomin' connector from the rail... Sorted the presssure issue. I'm going for the ghetto solution. Keep 5L of petrol in the car (just in case), try and arrive home with the low fuel light on and...

Drum roll...

Let it idle 'til it runs out of petrol :laugh:.

Back