K12 speedo and start up help please

Hi everyone, i'm after some advice for my K12 1.2S auto (03 reg). Recently has intermittant starting problems, turn the key and all lights come on but doesn't start. Then try again a couple of times and wiggle the key and it starts! Doesn't do this all the time, just occasionally.
And also my speedo needle sticks and doesn't move. Everything else works on the console - fuel gauge, revs and odometer.
Any advice appreciated or if these questions have been answered before if you could point me to the right thread please. I have it booked to go in Nissan next week, just don't want to get ripped off!
Sarah

Just to add, there's no outstanding recalls on the car, and someone mentioned to me it could be the battery, is there anyway i can test this without buying a new battery? Thanks :)

you could do with an obd 11 reader they are on ebay for £20 which will tell u whats wrong, or go to the service desk at a nissan dealership and ask for advise they r very helpful

thanks largey, its booked into nissan next week, read so many bad reviews about this car i'm wondering whether or not to get rid of it. have you any experience with wolverhampton nissan as thats where i have mine booked into, thanks

no probs, to b honest if its not too far for you get urself booked in at "wr davies nissan" in stafford (jct 13 m6) they have a set price diagnostics and they are cheap for a main dealer. it sounds like a faulty ignition barrel they arent that dear to buy, and the speedo sticking is probably the cable.

wolverhampton nissan have quoted £44 (half hours labour), if its the switch or barrel i'll ring wr davies and get a quote off them :) On the bright side i fixed the tilting seat problem myself today, turns out the cable was slack and just needed pulling tighter. I'm quite liking my car now (called R4), although i find the ride quite bouncy (tested the shocks by pushing down on bumpers but seems ok) and the engine is so quiet i can't hear it, i thought it had cut out, but i used to drive a 99 reg corsa which sounded like a tank. Will update when its been in for a check.

yeah definately give wr davies a ring they will sort you out and if ur older that 21 they provide a courtesy car, i had a nissan note that had some problems and they were so helpful with that. i agree the micra engine is very quiet when i first bought it i had to constantly watch the rev counter to make sure i didnt stall, i have the same year/engine size as yours but mines a manual. check your tyre pressures, mine handled like a shed when i first got it but a quick tyre pressure adjustment sorted that.

K12 are fly-by-wire, there is no throttle cable. The accelerator pedal is basically like a Scalextric controller :). Speedo will be a stepper motor as well I guess, no cable.

Thanks Guy! :) (great website!) Its been working ok for the past 2 days (its got a mind of its own), done tyre pressures and had two new front tyres and still feel the ride is bouncy so i'll mention it to nissan on thursday (i get the feeling they'll see me as a walking pound sign when i go in) thanks for the help everyone and any other recommendations and advice appreciated (i'm in west midlands area)

new problem, driving home today in the rain and the boot is unlocking itself and i get a beeping sound, i take it thats to tell me the boot is unlocked. I know this is a common probelm. Can i replace the switch myself???? or will a quick spray of WD-40 sort it out till i get into nissan on thursday. Really disheartened with this car. Absolutely love its looks, quite spacious but i've had nothing but problems with it.

Mine's cost me a bloomin' mint recently Sarah but I still love it :oops:. Boot lock is a notorious problem I believe. I've taken the boot door liner off mine and it looks dead easy to unplug and replace :).

Thanks Guy, i'm going to have a look, the most difficult thing i've ever done on a car was remove the gear selector switch on my old corsa automatic, had to take it apart and clean it, but never messed with anything electrical! :)

From memory, it's just a few bolts and a plug, I'll see if I can find a photo...

Here it is :):

boot_lock.png

the only number i can find goes to a fax machine, if i get a used barrel with another key, does that mean i'll have to use 2 keys for the car? my original one to open it and the other one to start it? (sorry if its a stupid question, the nissan garage have scared me saying if i don't get it done its going to burn out the starter motor and the i won't be able to turn the key, and they've got to cut a new barrel to fit my key)

on most cars the ignition switch screws onto the end of the barrel sarah, i dont know if k12 ones are integral to the barrel ?
and standard practice is to withdraw the inner from another barrel with your key inserted, and to file the tumblers down so that your key fits ok

I know where you're coming from :mad: Sarah, my local Nissan charged me £70 to straighten the steering wheel (before I became a mechanical legend obviously - KIDDING Frank :D) and it came out 10 degrees worse and covered in metal shavings.

I've just paid £100 for a new suspension arm and tracking because my steering wheel was out (it drove straight, but the steering wheel was off to the left) that was my local garage, but they won't touch the ignition. Gutted because i bought this with plans to add alloys, new headlamps etc but i'm spending on it just to get it to drive stright- start - stop bouncing around - stop the boot lock with a mind of its own etc :eek:

I feel your K12 pain, mine's an utter money pit at the moment. 116,000 miles and everything's wearing out at the same time :mad:. Maybe one of us is local and could lend a hand?

Well any help/recommendations would be appreciated :) Main Stealers want £360 for a new barrel :eek: I'd rather pay a local mechanic/garage than give it them lol

Hi there, i had the same problem! Fit a push start button! this will by pass the barrel. all the bits cost less than £10.

all you need is a button, meter in wires and a few connectors.

Thanks choi, i've got an auto locksmith coming on saturday as he seems to think its the ignition switch and not the barrel :confused:
Either way he's cheaper than nissan and i think i trust his opinion more than theirs lol
:)

Back