Rust- solutions?

Yestoday my micra failed its MOT on excessive corrosion on the bit of the chassis behind the front bumper. Rather than welding patches on to strengthen it I was considering chopping the whole section that goes across the front out and putting one in from another micra. Then I wondered if when you do this it would be acceptable to bolt it in place, as long as it is done well and remains strong?
Does anyone know if this is allowed?

Thanks.

Are you talking about the front coss member? If so just drill out the spot weld's and replace the whole front end. That way it's a whole new unit which (if you treat it properly) wont rust for a long time to come.

Remember to wax oil everything!

yep the front cross member. Is bolting allowed? If not I suppose, if I do all the preparation, welding will be quite cheap.

I phoned the MOT station and they want it to be welded so I'll have to do that.

welding will be quite cheap.

you recon? i was quote £80 just to patch the thing up! if i were you, get a MIG weld n have a go yourself first if your a hands on conpitent person, nothing to loose and if it goes throught MoT, cheap/free job if you lend the welder of a mate like i did :D

Thanks, that looks promissing. If replace all of what is shown in the picture I still have to do some tack welds do I? I would have a look at the car to see but its 160 miles away!

Back