rust alert

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
Please remove your dustcovers under the front of the car, that attach to the front bumper and check the cross member for rust. Mine was completely rusted thru on passenger side and begining to rust on driver side.....

CMF_Dickie P

» CMF Member
and another bad place to check if you drive dirt roads is just behind the wheelarch covers on each side of the car infront of the doors. dust bulds up in here and then after a bit of moisture can't get away. mine hasnt rusted but i have pulled my guards off twice so i could clean it out to prevent it from happening. then reatached after spraying with stinky shark oil (i thought it would help) dont use this it really stinks for days i hope it is effective tho.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
You can get odourless fishoil nowdays lol.

ANd crud doesnt build up in there on just dirt roads - those little areas will fill up quite easily just in normal driving. I personally flush them out with a high pressure spryer every time I wash the car. I also clean underneath the doors and all the door jams etc and underneath the body but that's because I'm anal when it comes to caked on dirt. :p

Cars look good dirty - it means they're being used but they have to look like they're being cleaned underneath the dirt too! All the grime in my engine bay is slowly being blasted away everytime i wash the car... Woohoo.

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Another spot to check is between the roof and the hatch. Aussie Micra design flaw is that spot didn't get a good coat of paint, so most Micras have a little strip of rust back there.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
I found another visible spot as well - in the rear wheel arches where metal is pressed and welded together. Once the paint wears off the steel is exposed and I've seen some rust spots in there on a few micras around the place.

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
Thin paint on the area between the roof & the hatch is not unique to UK assembled. It's common on a lot of hatches & wagons.

I unbolted the bottom of the front gaurd from the A pillar - sill area. Crud builds up between them. I couldn't clean it out properly with a waterblaster.

Back