Repairing dash vents.

Hi everybody. The vertical fins that direct air in the vents in the middle of my dash, above the vent controls, have come away from their mountings and I want to put them back, but I can't see how to get in there to do this; can anybody tell me how I can access these, please? Thanks very much for any advice and guidance, it is much appreciated. Jack, Starcross.

Attachments

• Vents.JPG
    Vents.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 645
Mines are currently unscrewed as I unscrewed them for some reason?? Idiot, but I'm just living with it at the moment I'm sure I'll need the dash out at some point and I will do it then, I have had it out 3 times this month!

Like infinity said they are only accessible from the rear which is a really big pain due to the fact of having tor remove the dash and some other bits as well! :(

I unfortunately broke a few blades on one of my central are vents with a air freshener unit that clamped to the air vent! :eek:I did everything to try and avoid removing the dash including first removing the hazard and rear window heater switches to access the offending vent which gained me access to only one side of the vent which of course was connected to the air ducting making it impossible to access the vents other side! :mad:

At the same time I was scrapping a donor 2002 1.4SE+ so I had practiced removing parts from that car which gave me a bit of experience and a invaluable insight on opening the"Pandora's Box" of the task of removing the dash and other associated bits! :confused:

After the nightmare of dash removal on the scrapped Micra I decided to adopt a different approach on my good 2002 1.4SE+ so I broke up the rest of the broken vent carefully removing all bits (to save the bits rattling in the air ducting forever more). I then lubricated the side locating logs on the replacement vent with fairy liquid and proceeded to refit the vent from the front of the dash face. After what seemed an eternity of jiggling the vent at every angle imaginable I managed to locate it into it's correct position without breaking it JOB DONE lol! :D

I will try and find some pics of the above task which still gives me nightmares lol! :confused:

Cheers
Andy :D

Like infinity said they are only accessible from the rear which is a really big pain due to the fact of having tor remove the dash and some other bits as well! :(

I unfortunately broke a few blades on one of my central are vents with a air freshener unit that clamped to the air vent! :eek:I did everything to try and avoid removing the dash including first removing the hazard and rear window heater switches to access the offending vent which gained me access to only one side of the vent which of course was connected to the air ducting making it impossible to access the vents other side! :mad:

At the same time I was scrapping a donor 2002 1.4SE+ so I had practiced removing parts from that car which gave me a bit of experience and a invaluable insight on opening the"Pandora's Box" of the task of removing the dash and other associated bits! :confused:

After the nightmare of dash removal on the scrapped Micra I decided to adopt a different approach on my good 2002 1.4SE+ so I broke up the rest of the broken vent carefully removing all bits (to save the bits rattling in the air ducting forever more). I then lubricated the side locating logs on the replacement vent with fairy liquid and proceeded to refit the vent from the front of the dash face. After what seemed an eternity of jiggling the vent at every angle imaginable I managed to locate it into it's correct position without breaking it JOB DONE lol! :D

I will try and find some pics of the above task which still gives me nightmares lol! :confused:

Cheers

Thanks, Andy, info appreciated. :)

Think I need to clarify my previous post, I re-fitted the actual swivel vent which is attached to the plastic black vent frame unit by 2 plastic pins which locate it to the frame unit. The black plastic vent surround frame which is connected to the vent ducting is fixed to the dash by a screw on each side! :)

Hope the above makes some sense! :confused:

Think I need to clarify my previous post, I re-fitted the actual swivel vent which is attached to the plastic black vent frame unit by 2 plastic pins which locate it to the frame unit. The black plastic vent surround frame which is connected to the vent ducting is fixed to the dash by a screw on each side! :)

Hope the above makes some sense! :confused:

Thanks, Andy. :)

Hi mate found some pics of the air vents the last pic is of the broken air vent that caused me nightmares lol! B-) B-) View attachment 48435View attachment 48436View attachment 48437View attachment 48438View attachment 48439

Thanks, Andy, that's very helpful. Because I can see from your pictures how big the pins are that hold the vents in place, I took a bit of a chance and used a large flat head screwdriver to eeease the sides away from the vent units and they popped out quite easily. I was able to fix the vanes back in place quite easily. However, getting the units back in was the Devil's own work! Nah, it wasn't too bad, but achieved by inserting them in too far, at an angle, and then using long nose pliers, carefully pulling them back out - as it were - into place. I did actually break one of the little horizontal bars doing this, but it was a clean break and although glued relatively easily, there is an outward pressure on these bars so this repaired one protrudes ever so slightly. Perhaps this is better done with the unit not in situ.

Anyone else with a similar problem, I would suggest using a pair (or 2) of long nose pliers and maybe a bit of grease and see if the vanes can simply be pulled back into place before considering removing the units in the way I did. Close the vents off first! One of the vanes is lost down in the ducting somewhere (presumably - it was like that when I got the car).

Thanks to everyone's advice, cheers, guys.

Jack.

Back