Help with blower vents needed please!!!

Hi,

I am new-bie with a problem.

My 1999 K11's heater blower and air vents, particularly when set up to blow on the windscreen don't seem to be working properly.

They have been like it since I bought the car - something I didn't pick up on the test drive! :(

The power seems very low on all vents, even when the fan is on full power, but when the blower is set to clear the windscreen its barely blowing any air out at all.

The selector dial which determines which vents the air is to come out of seems to be working ok.

My car does not have a/c so I understand there is no pollen filter to get bunged up.

What else could it be? Blocked air pipes, or could something fallen away/down behind the dash perhaps?

I have done my best to get a good look around through the open glovebox but I cannot see or feel anything wrong.

Also, the dial which controls the air temperature still works but makes a horrible 'clicking' noise when it is turned. Could it be linked?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated thanks.

Stu

I thought it was the other way around with pollen filters? That you do have one if your car wasn't fitted with aircon? And I think the only way you can check the pipes is by taking the whole dash out. Not sure if you can properly get to the blower matrix by just taking the glovebox off, I just removed the dash to get to mine :laugh:. Other than that, I'm not sure what it could be. Blocked pipes seems unlikely, as there is no way that they can actually get blocked in he first place

Just? Just removed the dash? Thats not a just its a royal PITA! I was also under the impression non aircon meant pollen filter?

Cheers for the reply's I will check for a blocked filter under the glovebox and also research what a 'heater card' is!

Stu

bbbst.jpg
p1010003cn.jpg

Lovely - thanks for the help, very much appreciated.

I have half solved the problem!

My car does NOT have air-con but DOES have a pollen filter. It was filthy black and totally bunged up, so I have removed it as a temporary measure. The airflow is now much better and there is actually air coming out of the vents up at the screen - hoorah!

Q - is it safe to leave it without a filter or am I best advised to fit one - I assume the filter is the only thing stopping and bits of dust etc from coming from outside and into the car?

Now, my heater card is clearly damaged which would explain why my heater fan works on setting '1', '3' and '4', but not '2'.

Here is a picture of it:
sdc10901a.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Can it be repaired and if so is it just the burnt bit that needs soldering or anywhere else? What is the burnt bit and what was it?

Stu

hey stu :p ive had this same problem with the blowers and its extremly common for these cards to become coroded yours is in preety good nick compared to the state of mine lmao (piccy below) its advised to get some abrasive paper just clean away the old ganky bit of the connection and then just get one of them curcuit board pens that fill it with a metal sort of resin thatll fix the card and its cheaper than buyin a new one :p

16082011364.jpg

EDIT: oh and dont forget to put ur card back in before u try ur blowers XD

Hi,

I am new-bie with a problem.

My 1999 K11's heater blower and air vents, particularly when set up to blow on the windscreen don't seem to be working properly.

They have been like it since I bought the car - something I didn't pick up on the test drive! :(

The power seems very low on all vents, even when the fan is on full power, but when the blower is set to clear the windscreen its barely blowing any air out at all.

The selector dial which determines which vents the air is to come out of seems to be working ok.

Also, the dial which controls the air temperature still works but makes a horrible 'clicking' noise when it is turned. Could it be linked?

Stu

i have exactly the same problem. you can get around the clicking thermo dial. first off, turn it really quickly to cold. do this 2 or 3 times, or until it stops clicking. this now means its actually cold, fully cold! to get around the clicking itself, turn the dial REALLY SLOWLY. the problem is the plastic gears inside the mechanism wear with use, and (with mine) with 99K on the clocks, its just worn the edge of the gear away.

as for the blower pressure, try turning it to feet. mine blows hardest on feet, then a bit on the screen, and barely anything from the face vents (can't feel any breeze on full power!). unless its bitterly horrible outside, i tend to have the feet vents on 2 or 3 and the windows open a bit. the windows suck air from the cabin in a venturi* and it effectively pulls the hot air from the blowers upwards and keeps you nice and warm!

* venturi: where a body of higher pressure distorts around an object, creating low pressure points. these pressure points are created on a car as a result of air buffetting off the windscreen around the A-pillar. this creates a low pressure point at the front window of the car, and when the driver opens the window, the air inside the car is relatively higher pressure than the low pressure point outside. air from inside the car moves outside to try to even out the pressure difference.

n.b. works best with window 1.5 - 2" open

Back