Removing the Radio!

J

jason_phelan

How the hell do u get the radio out of the K10? ive got the standard LW radio and want to put a CD player in the car but i cant get it out, tryed using screwdrivers everything! any tips? cheers, jace :)

Hey there,

Take out the ashtray first (slidy bit below the radio, just pull it hard) then unscrew the ashtray mounting plate (just one philips screw in the middle i think).

The standard radio is then held in with 2 screws from below.

you have to get underneath to see :sleepy:

james betley said:
no take out the ash tray and under neath their is 1 screw un do that and it should just pull out

Pretty sure theres 2 further screws after the ashtray mounting is out.

Its definitly 1. The two screws under there hold the ashtray to the dashboard, but they dont have to come out

Well you must have a different design of dashboard then.

Count them.

One. Two. Three. :wasntme:

And the ashtray is held in by the single middle one, the metal you can see in the side holes is actually my radio... Ive taken all the screws out so you can see the radio.

:p

Attachments

• 3 holes not 1.jpg
    3 holes not 1.jpg
    558.4 KB · Views: 209
Mine looks like that, but they do the reverse of what you've shown in the picture. Eg, middle one does stereo, side ones do ashtray. The super s i bought was also like that too, and Ems's!

Must be just change in design of the ashtray holder somewhere then, because mine only has the centre hole.

My old k10 had it this way too.

Turtle said:
Must be just change in design of the ashtray holder somewhere then, because mine only has the centre hole.

My old k10 had it this way too.

sure your not mistaken? lol

Ems car is a datsun and mine was a super s, and they're both the same. 1985 through to 1992! Would be interesting to hear other peoples input

The haynes also says, as betley mentioned above, that the centre one does the stereo. I mean, you can even look at the original stereo and see the hole where the screw goes into it!

honestly alan, im not mistaken.

My last car was like this and no one had ever taken out the radio, and my Super S doesnt have holes in the metal ashtray holder for 2 screws!!

Its just one of those odd quirks i guess, probably relating to when or where they were manufacturered.

Perhaps clarion made a mistake with the design of some of their radios, putting the holes at the side...

can I just bung my tuppances worth in? The gold one's stereo was held in by the single (bigger) screw, in the middle.

lol this is a funny thread!...

My Haynes (blue cover ('83 to '93) contradicts itself:

CH 13 (suplement):
- 'remove ashtray
-"extract THE..." (singular) "...screw and take out metal cover plate from the top of the astray recess."
- "Remove the radio securing SCREWS..." (plural) ".... These are located under the radio (photo)"

then in the photo the figure title says
-"Remove the radio securing SCREW " (singular- contradiction)

And just to throw in more confidence in the accuracy of haynes:

Chapter 12 (Electrical System):

In the contents list there is an item "mobile Radio Equipment - interference-free installation.......29"

but the last section in this chapter is infact section 28.(cigar lighter)..lol (damn!... I was looking foward to some hints on interference-free installation)

..Lets just hope all the torque and clearences figures are all right EEEEK!

lol i thought it was the one screw in the middle orginally but that picture makes it look like the outer 2 could secure the radio as well perhaps you can use either depending on what stereo is fitted....

but the haynes says the middle one is the boy at least if you have a factory fitted stereo :)

i remeber my super s had its radio secured by the middle one man that was a piece of crap lol

Speedle said:
i think he's right rimmer infact now i recall im almost certain that the outer 2 hold in the radio and ive removed more dashboards than you rimmy :p

Not what you've just said boy! besides, you shouldnt need a picture to refresh your memory if you've removed so many dashboards in the past :p

lol i know i know but come on its been almost 8 months since i had a k10 and you what my memory is like anyway after looking at one last night i know arnold is right.

and i should have gone with my orginal gut instinct that its the middle one

Back