Removing the old aerial / Radio reception issues

Hi. Any help is welcomed here. I have a 1998 Micra. It has a Sony X-plod radio CD, but the last few months the reception has been awful. So much so I don't even bother turning it on. Last night I thought I would unscrew that aerial from the roof and see if there is any corrosion.

As I was wiggling it out, something on the aerial hit the bodywork and sparked slightly. When I turned on the ignition, the radio wouldn't work. Checked the fuses but everything was fine. Got back in the car about an hour later and the radio worked fine. Perfect reception too!

Got in the car this morning, drove a mile down the road enjoying my radio again, and suddenly it went crackly again and now it's back to how it was.

Any idea what this could be? If I want to remove the aerial completely, do I need to remove the plastic from the pillar and footwell to do that?

Thanks

The cause for the sparking would be that Nissan decided to earth the stereo unit through the aerial.
I'm guessing you've taken the head unit out and checked that the cables are all properly plugged in?
Other than that, all I can think is that your stereo isn't grounding properly, and that there might be a dodgy connection between the stereo and the actual grounding point in the aerial.

Sent from my XT1562 using Micra Sports Club mobile app

After utilising the code John have put radio worked again... Unfortunately no reception... The bee sting screw part looks fine on roof but it seems to be rusted..does that mean I need to replace the aerial to recieve reception.?

Where would I check if the stereo is properly earthed?

Back