Removing front ARB

Wait until H701 sees this and offers something useful seeing as he's one of the few people who really understands suspension. Otherwise you'll just get a load of hot air / BS :rolleyes:
Why thanks :p
Hi all... Anyone removed their front ARB? If so, any improvements?

Your current setup will affect results but removing will have no negative effects and actually makes the car more stable on rougher surfaces and with pothole season around the corner will actually be of benefit to remove it :) it will also reduce understeer overall

I don't use any anti roll bars just correctly setup coilovers. It handles extremely well

I could give a in-depth technical description too if wanted :p

Thank you very much indeed!!!!!! Would have preferred an in-depth technical description though ;-)....
Be careful what you wish for :p

An anti-roll bars sole purpose is to limit roll by increasing 'roll resistance'. Its useful for cars that need to run soft setups for rough surfaces but want to eliminate the body roll that comes with it. Such surfaces as gravel rallies where you need the softer setup to soak up the rough terrain but want to stop the resulting weight transfer

How they work is tying each individual suspension corner with the opposite with what is essentially a torsion bar. When you corner hard (say right) the body rolls left and the outer wheel (in our case left) starts to disappear into the wheel well and our inside wheel is naturally pushed down to keep tyre contact but also aiding the car to roll more.
With an anti roll bar in place the upward force seen by the outer wheel is transferred by the anti roll bar to the inside wheel pulling it upward also keeping the car level. The force that the outide wheel transfers to the inside wheel depends on the torsional strength of your anti roll bar.

In our case with the micra. Once our cars are properly setup with coilovers I see no need for an anti roll bar. As the roll stiffness is already greater than the lateral G force a micra can plausibly handle.
The story is much the opposite with the rear as having one in place here helps reduce understeer and stops the car increasing its crossweight onto the front outside wheel.

This is not to say go stick the stiffest anti roll bar known to man on the rear and expect fantastic results. Too stiff and the car will oversteer as you reduce contact patch. This is generally where you see a car 'cocking a rear wheel' leaving the remaining outside tyre to deal witg what you throw at it in the corners

Does carry on but that took ages to write so A. I hope you appreciate it :p and B. I hope it makes sense

Say again?........:-SS.....makes perfect sense mate. Wanted to know what they really do and with what setup they work best with. Thanks for explaining it. It's coming off today, extra weight saving!

Say again?........:-SS.....makes perfect sense mate. Wanted to know what they really do and with what setup they work best with. Thanks for explaining it. It's coming off today, extra weight saving!
Probably saving 3kg but its worth it... mount it on the back eh ;)

Go figure, I drove with the front ARB disconnected once and I was on my way back after the first tight left hander...

Hence the 'go figure' remark. I'll PM you ;)
I eagerly await your message :p
so the above ^ is hot air and B/S then dave ? :p
Unlikely I'd say in the cases above.
Skymera was using oversprung coilovers which give a higher rolling resistance than the anti roll bar so he'll feel no negative effect as described
Mazza said potholes are now more comfortable and no mention of hard cornering capability.

Dave I suspect had proper springed coilovers and so his anti roll bar will have play a part :)
Now if Dave said to me he removed his anti roll bar with 220-250lb/in springs and it improved cornering I'd be asking for his licence :p feel free to prove me wrong though

Last edited:
My coilies were way too stiff to the point it affected handling negatively.

I think on a suitable suspension setup the ARB will be a good asset.

Back