Removing engine oil from carpets etc!! Help

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Ok got in my car this morning to see about 3L of oil in the rear footwell has spilled over and gone all over the place!

Anyone got any ideas how to remove it from the carpets etc!! or would it be easier to get another carpet from a scrappy.. its gone everywhere!

Cheers
Arnold

I would have thought that it would be quicker, easier and most probably cheaper to get yourself to the scrappy...

you can get special solutions to remove oil from carpets that work really well, but not stupidly well (ie to remove 3 litres!) lol, i would also go scrappy i think

I also vote for going to a scrappy, I've heard motor oil is a good way to wreck normal carpets so it'll probably do the same to car ones. The only thing I can think of that'll shift it well would be petrol, which is a tad dangerous. According to my old chemistry teacher, petrol is good for washing tar off clothes but it's also even better for gutting ur kitchen in the process.

Lol, ok i've just tried cleaning her up a bit, there were oil puddles in both rear footwells, it had leaked straight down the centre and was pouring both sides. Car absolutly stinks!!! Tried wiping loads of it up and using carpet cleaners and stuff, but i think replacing it is probably the best bet

And being late back for work, the car wouldnt start AGAIN!! The connector on the ignition barrel keeps coming loose. Why?!

Arnold

easier to get a srappy carpet, you would never get rid of the smell of oil completely, so you car will always smell like a breakers yard :D
Souldn't the ignition barrel conector have a little screw to hold it in?

Yeah the screw part holds the metal bit in, however its the plastic connector with the wires attached which keeps coming out! Is it meant to clip in at all or just slide on and hope it stays in place! im thinking about using a cable tie around the steering column or something bodge to hold it on

try vinegar..thats good for any stain,that will remoe most of it if not all of it,,but it will be abit smelly for a few days.:D nothing warm soapy water wont get rid of though and an airfreshner

then try this!! http://www.thorntonandross.co.uk/household/starclen.html http://www.thorntonandross.co.uk/household/stardrops.html you mite not be able to buy from supermarkets cos its like a old hosewifes thing lol.tends to be small shops that sells it..and mostly available up north hahaha

i got this from my great gran lol..shes 83 and can get anything clean :D so i trust her

Arnold just change the carpets. I spilt a litre of cooking oil on my old old K10 years ago, i took the carpet out and jetwashed it and everyithng but it smelt like a frying pan ever after! hahaha!

RIK said:
try vinegar..thats good for any stain,that will remoe most of it if not all of it,,but it will be abit smelly for a few days.:D nothing warm soapy water wont get rid of though and an airfreshner

Oil is one of the many things that warm soapy water will do nothing to get rid of. It will just spread the oil about more, and will still stink.

Andrew said:
Oil is one of the many things that warm soapy water will do nothing to get rid of. It will just spread the oil about more, and will still stink.

i ment after the vinegar.to get rd of the smell :p

Lol its definitly got worse since i tried cleaning it i tell ya!!! cheers for the links and suggestions but i think i'l replace it - shouldnt take too long or cost too much! Il wire in my digital clock at the same time lol

The smell tho is so overpowering, had to have the window right down even tho it was raining!! i'd rather get wet than suffocate

Is it the transponder ring on the ignition barrel that keeps coming off? My boss had a k11 1.3, and for the new part from Nissan it's about £120...

Back