Removal of track rod end?!?!

shaiboy_uk

Buy & Sell Member
Hi all,

Getting my partners car ready for its MOT. Just replaced the rear wheel bearing, what a job that was. Now need to replace the near side track rod end, as a bit of play in it.

Tried to remove it last night, ball joint bolt at top, came off ok. But the nut on the shaft leading to the steering rack is solid! (Ball joint bolt on, to hold it in place) tried heating it up, wire brushing it, wd40'ing it, but still solid.

Anyone got any tricks to get this undone?

Thanks
Shaiboy_UK

are you turning it the right way? i seem to remember that on some cars one of them is left hand thread[/QUOTE}

Hi,

Tried it both ways, as normally do this anyway to try and break any seal, but not budging either way :(

Can anyone confirm if this left hand threaded, so when i retry it, I know.

Thanks

Cheers
Shaiboy_UK

only draglinks or trackrods have a l/h and r/h thread as a rule (not rack steering like yours)
and i usually hit the opposite flats of the nut with 2 hammers (hard !) to free it off :grinning:

Shai boy uk, WD40 is absolute rubbish for trying to free up stuck parts. Try to get some Plusgas dismantling fluid or at the very least 3-in-1 High Performance Penetrant spray. Give it a good coating, leave it, spray it again. Then try it (Y)

Back