Bent track rod repair?

CMF_Ashiro

» CMF Member
I wish I was joining under happier circumstances but I'm hoping someone could help me out.

I had a small bump in the Micra the other night in the ice and its bent the track rod on the drivers side. At first I thought it'd be possible to take out and hammer it back into shape - but now I'm buying one instead.

I've got a few questions though first - sorry if these are a bit simple but I've not done much work on it before so bare with me:

* Is the track rod a part of the steering rack? So if I order the rack I'll get the rod with it?
* Is this going to be easy or hard?

I was struggling like hell with the ball joints until I realised I'm probably gonna have to hack it to bits and replace the rod ends as well.

Does anyone have any tips or advice? I'm really grateful for this article someone posted here btw: http://www.micra.com.au/technical-articles/power-steering-conversion.php

Its not exactly what I need but at least there's some description of what on earth to do.

I'm flying pretty blind though here people so if anyone can help out then I'd be really grateful. :)

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Ok.. Well as for the ball joints.. they're easy. Either buy a ball joint seperator OR just give the hub a swift blow with a hammer to crack the taper. Has worked every time for me.

I assume you've bent the wishbone. New one is easy to put in, dont need to expand on that I don't think.

If the steering rod is bent, usually it can be adjusted out by a wheel alignmen (if its not a major bend).

If it is a major bend it will be easier to just replace the rack

Back