Reliability/Economy

G

getronics

Guys 'n' Gals,

I'm looking to by a samll car as soon as my current car is sold. Micra's are the way forward for me.
I'm not looking to start any debate but I'd like to know which engines offer the best economy and are solid.
They are k10 1 litre and 1.2 litre
k11 1.0
I know the k11 1.3 litre engine is very good but is the k11 1.0 even cheaper to run/mpg?
I have seen a few k10's on Autotrader but I'm not sure which are best for daily driving.
Thanks in advance for any hint's and advise.
Regards
Steve

If you're really after a cheap bargain, you can get K10's as low as £50 which run fine! The 1.0 K10 is a stronger car & can be ragged more, but natural wear and tear under general use, they're both as good as each other i think. L and LS are the basic models, going up to SLX, Super & Super S as the top ones.

The K11's tho are newer and probably a bit more comfortable and modern. Some models have central locking, leccy windows etc whereas the K10's only have these as aftermarket addons!

For a real bargain, and high mpg, i'd suggest a 1.0 K10, but for mod cons etc, the K11. Not sure which k11 engine tho in terms of mpg, but the 1.0's should be alot cheaper to buy than the 1.3's!

Thanks for the reply. I had a Micra k11 1.3lx last year to keep me mobile and it was a great car. I could spend £17.50 for a whole week on fuel whereas previous cars such as Primear eGT and my current mr2 mk1 need £25 per week for the same miles.
So the k10 1.0 is a tough cookie you say? Hmmm....I'm not after luxuries....just a smooth drive. My previous k11 was a comfy car and felt like ar much bigger and more refined car than it was.
As long as the car can get me from A to B and be reliable I'm not fussed.
I take it that the k10 1.0's are easy to maintain and parts are readily available...from Halfords perhaps (for the everyday wear and tear bits that is).

Yep! the every day stuff can be obtained from halfords or local motor factors! Ive got a 1.0 L model and its ragged regularly lol! The seats did give me back ache so changed them for Super S ones, but even these do on longer journies.

The ride as standard isn't that bad either!

Find one in your local paper and give it a go! then decide what car to go for :) They're definitly reliable and cheap to run if you drive them sensibly and look after them :), and assuming the previous owner has looked after it too..

Thanks again.
Last Q before I bore you again....lol
Does the 1.0 k11 offer better performance/smoother/stronger/better mpg than a 1.0 k10? I believe the 16v engines are more efficient but not having owned a k10 I don't know.
Thanks again for the info. :grinning:

Im really not sure. The BHP on the K11 is slightly higher, about 4 i think, but i guess it depends how well looked after the car is and how heavy your right foot might be! One car might cope with it better than the other, probably the K11 being the newer / mechanically advanced car.

but best take advice from someone who knows about that! Plenty of people do, but they're probably out now on the town or something :)

Thanks again.
I'd prefer to go for a k11 but it depends how much I get to spend. At least a 1.0 k10 is an option if my budget is tighter than I expect.
Cheers

Steve

MR2 mk1...... I used to have one...... superb little car!!!!!!

I have a k10 and a k11

Drove the k10 from Bradford to Derby - 70 all the way, smooth as silk - and its only 1.0!!!

MICRASKYLINE said:
Drove the k10 from Bradford to Derby - 70 all the way, smooth as silk - and its only 1.0!!!

Actually i drove mine from Horsham to Bradford, then across to Hull and back to Horsham within 24 hours.. was about 700 miles or more and she it loved it!! Car was loaded too, two people, extra seats, extra gearbox.. Foot to the floor all the way down the M62/M1/M25!! Hard as nails

MA12 would probably have blown up lol :laugh:

I take it the MA12 is the 1.2 engine and MA10 is the 1.0.....sorry for being dumb... :down: :laugh:

there prob isnt much mpg diffrence on the ma10 k10 and the cg10de k11 the k11 is heavier than the k10, i dont know how much by but it more than likely get them the same mpg

im prob getting about 40mpg in my k10 1.0 and thats with some foot downs

K10 and K11...

To Close to call... K10's are fun but old...But K11 are not 'AS' fun, but a lil' more modern...

In my OPINION...

Cheers

I do about 190 miles a week and in my mk1 MR2 I need £25 and some very very careful NON-TVIS accelerating....lol.
Thats based on 91.99p per litre of unleaded.
My old k11 1.3lx used to use £17.50 per week when prices were at 79.99p per litre....that was last year.......
So saying the k10 k11 1 litres are even more economical would mean that it should work out about the same to run one each week as what the k11 1.3lx was for me last year.....at least I'm hoping these maths prove right... :D

Back