Rattling cam chain?!

CMF_Hegge

» CMF Member
Hello

My Micra K11 -93 1.0 16V has a rattlin sound from the engine.

I searched the forums and found some interesting posts but i'm not completly sure what to do.

I found this link: http://www.micra.com.au/technical-articles/nissan-timing-chain-procedure.php

When I follow the diagnostic steps it says that it is not a chain-related problem because the sound is not only at idle but also at higer RPMs!

It rattles a lot att all RPMs.

Is there anyone out there who has any idea what might be wrong?

The oil is changed, 10w40 Mineral, still rattlin! May thicker oil help?

Personaly i think it is the upper tensioner but I don't know, it's just a feeling that I have.

Any help appreciated!

//Hegge

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
That advise about only occuring at idle is not strictly correct.

Take the metal plate top chain cover off & have a look at the top hydraulic tensioner. I'd bet it's worn down, maybe to the metal backing.

If it is, you'll probably get away with just replacing it & leaving everything else. You don't need to remove the chain to replace the tensioner.

CMF_Hegge

» CMF Member
nz_aj WROTE:

"That advise about only occuring at idle is not strictly correct.<BR>
<BR>
Take the metal plate top chain cover off &amp; have a look at the top hydraulic tensioner. I'd bet it's worn down, maybe to the metal backing.<BR>
<BR>
If it is, you'll probably get away with just replacing it &amp; leaving everything else. You don't need to remove the chain to replace the tensioner.

I have removed the upper tensioner and it is a bit worn, but not down to the metal. You think it still is worth changing?

The tensioner is only available as nissan original or is there any third part version?

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
If you only see a couple of grooves maybe 1mm deep it's not your problem.
Is the upper fixed guide also relatively wear free?

We can only get genuine Nissan down here.
As far as the tensioner oges, I can't imagine a third party one being any poorer quality, it's just some wear resistant plastic held in metal frame.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
That sounds more like detonation dude.

Check your timing, fuel supply and air cleaner. Make sure timing is within factory specification and fuel/air supply are not blocked.

Back