• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Project Sh*tbox

Nearly a week after picking her up, I finally got her off the van. Bought with knowing the problems it had, which were quite obvious.

So, after a quick blast to confirm it was actually pretty well set up, the plan is to use it until the engine lets go, then full refurb. Top end sounds like it's on it last legs. May get a few runs in at Perranporth towards the end of the year though :D

Jobs list in short:

Grind back all the 'pigeon poo' welds and make sure they stick right (including the engine install!)

Find fuel leak, which could be the seal on the fuel tank as a Walbro has been fitted

Tidy the wiring, in engine bay and inside cabin before there's a fire

Happy with the way it handles at present, but hoping to pick up some banded steelies this weekend if Bruv lets me take a detour back from Hull to East Devon.
Think from memory it has Almera rears? And Corsa D fronts? Happy to be corrected

Re shape a bit of the exhaust (having a new one made anyway) as its fouling the front roll bar

Fit a gear knob

Oh, and remove the dump valve, as I'm a firm believer that you don't need one at anything less than like, 30psi. I'm 42 and I'm not cruising about looking for stickies to impress.

The bit of filler on the wing fell out today, so it's a few OZ lighter :D
Got fuel cut too, and it's quite awkward to see what boost it's running when you floor it. I kind of don't want to take my eyes off the road. Will check all the vac pipes and usual suspects when I have time. Can't through the week and Saturday I'm off in the van bringing a VW camper back from Manchester. So if you want anything brought up... Shout.

Last edited:
Well I used it for work for a kind of shake down. Well that's that engine dead :D
Currently on the look out for a low mileage B204. Ideally a complete car/engine as I really can't be bothered with swapping manifolds etc.
On the plus it REALLY annoyed some Audi driver.

Saab found and picking her up tomorrow. Low ish mileage considering the age of these cars now (137k)
While the engine is out the bay will get a clean up too!

Well it's moved to my mates lock up. Bout time I pulled my sleeves up and started it I suppose. I have someone rebuilding the engine (2 crap engines into 1 good) in Wales, plus I'm now using a B205 head. Should be good for about 350hp.

Back